Mazda 323, irregular RPM problem

Old 12-23-04, 05:07 PM
eldukae
Visiting Guest
Mazda 323, irregular RPM problem

hi all,

I have a 1991 Mazda 323 hatchback 1.6L fuel injection. Lately I have noticed something strange with the engine speed. With the gas pedal in a fixed position, the engine speed goes from high to low to high .....in a slow cycle.

I recently had a tuneup with all fliuds, plugs, dist cap+wires replaced. Plus I also used a fuel injection system cleaner in my fuel.

Is there a problem with my throttle position sensor?

Thanks

Eldukae

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-04, 07:23 PM
DKM
Could be the throttle position sensor (TPS) or the idle air control solenoid (IAC). But, I've seen the same thing with the throttle body shaft worn. That will cause the TPS to get a faulty reading and send the IAC the wrong info. I've also seen an a a/c compressor clutch cycling to quickly to cause it to do the act the same way. Does the problem occur with only the A/c or defroster on? I'd check the mechanical stuff first. If everything looks good mechanically. I'd get any codes and data scanned to diagnose a electrical fault. An other possibility could be the timing changing, with a dist this could be electrically or mechanically at fault. Just a few thoughts. I hope this may help.

Old 12-26-04, 04:33 AM
eldukae
Visiting Guest
thanks very much for your reply.

But doesnt the IAC disengage when the vehicle is moving? This problem also occurs when the car is travelling at a constant velocity. And no I dont have an A/C or anyother high electrical use device in my car. I am going to try and clean my throttle body, and look for any wear as my starting point.

again, thanks for your help, Happy holidays....

eldukae

Old 12-26-04, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by eldukae
But doesnt the IAC disengage when the vehicle is moving? This problem also occurs when the car is travelling at a constant velocity. And no I dont have an A/C or anyother high electrical use device in my car.
The fact that the vehicle is moving would have no bearing on the IAC but the RPM would. If this is happening anywhere above 1500 RPM, I wouldn't blame the IAC or the throttle body. TPS would become a possibility among many other things. MAF is amother suspect. Are you getting any "check engine" lights?

Old 10-14-09, 01:46 PM
I got the same prob

i got a mazda proteger 1999 and its work well until he got a fault.Mostly on higway he start to fail on rpm.
ex:im at 120 km/h and them the motor cute off..and speed goes to 100km/h...then he wake up and start to work and get back to 120km/h to cute again.
I can make him work great if i puch gaz pedal on the floor but well going to pass 180km/h...if i left uo the pedal a bit ..he wont decelere he just cute off.. its like there no middel range on the gaz pedal ..its like on/off ...he work or he dosent work ...there is no mid ..so i cant get a stable speed!!..
I could bypass de prob if i stop on the road ..put the car on neutral lifth up the clutch and lets the rpm get back to 900 tr/m for about 5 sec.then i can start and the prob is gonne ...but his comming back radomly in the time ...i can run 10 min whit no prob ..may 30min but ..evantualy the prob gonna came back ..and alway whene im on the highway ..where i got no place to stop to replace the fault.funny..this **** just make my coffee goes down a **** load of time !!
like i said ..the only way to reset the fault if the stop completly ..nothing else can make thats fault pass...till the car moving..
im suspecting some sensor ...may the one who are close of the air intake ..its work closely whit the gaz pedal ...or may the cut off of my computer ..its look like a cute off ..but at 100km/h i guest its not..but still look like..
im about to disconect the metter of seep just to see if its interact whit the computer ...if any got idea ..lets me know

Old 10-14-09, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dieux View Post
i got a mazda proteger 1999 and its work well until he got a fault.Mostly on higway he start to fail on rpm.
ex:im at 120 km/h and them the motor cute off..and speed goes to 100km/h...then he wake up and start to work and get back to 120km/h to cute again.
I can make him work great if i puch gaz pedal on the floor but well going to pass 180km/h...if i left uo the pedal a bit ..he wont decelere he just cute off.. its like there no middel range on the gaz pedal ..its like on/off ...he work or he dosent work ...there is no mid ..so i cant get a stable speed!!..
I could bypass de prob if i stop on the road ..put the car on neutral lifth up the clutch and lets the rpm get back to 900 tr/m for about 5 sec.then i can start and the prob is gonne ...but his comming back radomly in the time ...i can run 10 min whit no prob ..may 30min but ..evantualy the prob gonna came back ..and alway whene im on the highway ..where i got no place to stop to replace the fault.funny..this **** just make my coffee goes down a **** load of time !!
like i said ..the only way to reset the fault if the stop completly ..nothing else can make thats fault pass...till the car moving..
im suspecting some sensor ...may the one who are close of the air intake ..its work closely whit the gaz pedal ...or may the cut off of my computer ..its look like a cute off ..but at 100km/h i guest its not..but still look like..
im about to disconect the metter of seep just to see if its interact whit the computer ...if any got idea ..lets me know
Huh??? start a new thread with a new problem & try to proof read what you say.... Please start over again as I'm not really sure what you're asking ,,,or what ""the metter of seep"" is... Sorry,,, Roger

Old 10-15-09, 05:51 AM
Same Prob

I simply got the same probleme than the first persone who started this post.
Motor running properly until the computer goes on fail safe mode.
Always happening on the highway.
Its look like there is no mid possition on the gaz pedal.Thats look like more a switch where we got 2 possition...0n or off.
I can reste the fault if i stop moving ...i dont need to stop motor ..but just stop moving ..put the transmition on neutral for about 5 sec then im good...never for long but well.
The spped meter have to be at 0 to reset the fault ...
Today i have to go work and i have disconected the speed meter ..im gonna see if its really interact whit my prob or its just a luck.Im suspecting the littel modul just at the side of the air intake ..where the wire of the gaz pedal going,but im not sure for now..
I got my car for 6 year now ..and i'v never goes to the garage ...and im not expecting to go!
If u got any suggestion about whut i should look afther my speed metter ..ur all welcome.

Old 10-15-09, 02:31 PM
Deux: Reading between the lines, I think it is your throttle position sensor. It can be checked with an ohmmeter.
Also; start your own thread next time. It gets too confusing with two cars in one thread.