Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

85 S-10 Door Latching Problem

MI

12-25-04, 09:37 AM   #1  
85 S-10 Door Latching Problem

I've got this old S-10 that is running quite well so I keep patching and driving it. In the last few years, it has gotten hard to get the door to latch tightly. When I close the door, it usually latches "lightly", leaving the door slightly loose, but latched to some degree.

After several tries by slamming hard, I finally get the door to latch tightly. Is there some adjustment that I can make to improve this situation? I originally thought that it had to do with the hinges wearing, but now I think it has to do with the latch and the latch post (is that the correct term?).

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Sponsored Links

12-25-04, 09:56 AM   #2  
Take an ice pick or similar sharp object. Scribe a circle around the large washer on the door post. This is a reference so you know where you started.

Then try loosening the latch bolt where the washer is and move it out a little bit, tighten it down and see if it helps. You will probably need a male torx socket to loosen & tighten it. The latch bolt can move up, down, in, and out. I assume you tried lubricating the latch mechanism in the door first. You may need to do some trial and error to make it better.

If you see wear on the top of the latch bolt it means the door hinges are wearing and letting the door drop. If this is the case watch the door as it latches and it will usually move up as it latches.

12-25-04, 02:08 PM   #3  
Most likely worn hinges. They do make a replaceable pin for that hinge. Might be a little tricky installing it though.

Search this Thread