Oil Change

Old 12-26-04, 12:12 PM
Krystina661
Visiting Guest
Oil Change

This might sound really stupid, but could someone please tell me how to change the oil in my car? I'd really like to know how to do it myself.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-04, 01:07 PM
This is easy stuff. First you'll need to make sure you've got the proper equipment. You'll need a hydrolic jack to get under your car, you'll need a drain pan to collect used oil, and you'll need your basic rachets or socket wrenches. You'd also be advised to get a filter wrench, a good adjustable one.

Next you'll need oil, depending on your car and location you'll most likely need about 3 1/2 quarts of regualr 10W40 motor oil and the oil filter designed to fit your specific vehicle (the auto parts store will have a catalog that tells you exactly which model oil filter for the various brands to buy). A funnel is sometimes useful, and in the rare circumstance your oil has not been changed in some time, some WD40 will prove useful.

Now, follow jacking instructions for your jack, find a secure spot under your car's frame and jack her up. Once you get under there, look for the oil plug (the screw in the bottom of the engine's oil pan). It's usually in the vincinity of directly under the engine's oil cap on top of the engine under your car's hood. If you have trouble finding it, your owner's maual should have illustrations that may help you. Now turn her counterclockwise (if you were facing the screw head). About one or two rotations with your wrench will do, now hand turn pushing in (so you can tell when you're about to strike black gold). When it's about pour, make sure your drain pan is in place and remove your drain plug.

Now, while the engine oil is running out, locate the oil filter. Take a glance at the new one you bought to get an idea of what it looks like. It is usually in the area of the drain plug, and sometimes they can be in some pretty awkward locations so prepared to flex your dexterity. Get a decent grip with your filter wrench and let 'er rip.

Now replace the oil plug and dip your finger in some of the new unused oil and lubricate the mouth of the new oil filter. Replace your oil filter, taking care to only screw it in maybe a quarter turn past hand tight. Now's the easiest part. Fill up your engine, through the opening on top with your new oil. Check the level after the first two quarts. Don't over fill. Good. Make sure you tale your car off the jack now and check the level again (now that the car's on level surface). Now peek under the car, is anything leaking? Not likely, but it's always good to look. Start your car up and look for an engine light. Nothing? Good. You're done.

P.s. I'm not a mechanic or a moderator so wait for the big dogs to reply but I think you're good with what I've given ya!!!

Old 12-26-04, 01:48 PM
Let's correct some things here. First of all, don't climb under any car with nothing but a jack under it. You need either some jack stands or blocks as a safety catch for the jack. Second, we haven't determined what car or engine you have so don't go for that 10W40 stuff just yet. Many late model vehicles require light oils like 5W20 or 5W30. If your car is one of these, it's very important to stay with those viscosities. The third thing is the volume of oil. Some cars take as much as 7 quarts of oil and you need to determine how much yours hold before purchasing the oil. Let me tell you that for the $20 or less that you pay for an oil change, it's definately not worth doing yourself. I've been a tech for over 35 years and if I don't have a lift at my disposal, I'm paying someone else to do this. The savings is not worth the grief if your doing this in your driveway. Remember you have to properly dispose of the old oil and filter. You can't just throw that stuff away.

Old 12-26-04, 02:09 PM
Thank goodness I made it known that I'm not the professional. Jack stands are extremely important and it is always the best of ideas to consult your owner's manual for specifics on such things as how much oil to add and what viscosity to use.

I enjoy changing my own oil. I know what's being done and I have the power to buy whatever oil and filter I want. For $24.95 though, you can't beat the time and effort a quick lube place saves you.

Again, the pros know best!!!!!!

Old 12-27-04, 03:46 AM
yep and yep

Yep you need jackstands and yep it is much more easy to bring it in unless you have a truck that is sitting high in wich case you need no jacks or stands.
I really used to do it as a young kid but now I am lazy and bring it in myself but I might start doing it again since I have a truck again.
It can be a hassle getting rid of the oil getting everything set up etc.

Old 12-27-04, 04:28 AM
Oil Change?

By the time you buy the oil and oil filter you can have someone do it just as cheep. Plus most lube lines check all fluid levels and top off,check battery,check belts and hoses,check air filter,check cabin air filter,check air pressure in the tires,check and lube if necessary,(most don't have lube fittings anymore.)check for tire rotation which should be every 6,000 miles,at that time they check the brakes.And also vacuum out your car.

Old 12-27-04, 11:11 AM
A couple of the posts commented on the possible difficulty of a do-it-yourselfer getting rid of the old oil. Although I rarely change my own oil any more myself, I do have several lawn maintenance machines which I change oil on, and my son usually changes his own oil in my driveway. I keep an old 5 gal. mud bucket with a screw off cap on the lid. I use this bucket to collect the old oil and when it is about 3/4 full, I take it to my local Goodyear store where I have my own changes performed. They dump the bucket into their storage tank and return the bucket to me. It is a regulation that any garage which changes oil commercially must accept old oil from shade tree mechanics. (This sure beats dumping it down the storm drain or out in the back forty.)

Old 12-28-04, 02:05 PM
Krystina661
Visiting Guest
I'm actually just going to bring the car in and have it done. For some reason I thought all you had to do was open the hood of the car and put oil in I have no idea about things like this..

Thanks for all the replys

Search this Thread