Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Metal Studded Tires

NC

12-26-04, 01:58 PM   #1  
Metal Studded Tires

Is there someone on the forum that is familiar with or that has had experience with metal studded snow and ice tires? Can someone recommend a reliable place to buy them or to order them from online? Thanks in advance ...

Sponsored Links

12-26-04, 03:07 PM   #2  
I've been in florida for the last 25 years but in the old days up in New England, the local deal had to install the studs into the tire before selling them to you. Make sure they are legal in your state. They do a lot of damage to the roads.

Group Moderator

WI

12-28-04, 09:03 AM   #3  
I live in Wisconsin & studs are not legal here, so I don't know anything specific about where to buy them, but I've had good experience buying tires from tirerack.com.

12-28-04, 09:18 AM   #4  
I have lived in Ohio and now Arkansas and they are illegal in both states. Here, chains are also outlawed with the exception of the emergency chains that you put on and take back off when you get unstuck.
Worst thing I ever did with a studded tire was changing it when I had a flat. Jacked it up and forgot about the studs until I grabbed the tire to remove it from the studs. Got my attention REAL quick. They get very sharp.

12-28-04, 02:52 PM   #5  
Whatever you do if you have a front wheel drive car don't just put them on the front.You need them on the rear also or the front end of the car will be passed by the rear during a braking manuever.I would suggest the newer studless snow tires available,I've driven cars with them on and was pleasantly suprised at the traction available.They are a tad pricey though so shop around.

Search this Thread