1991 Car

Old 12-26-04, 02:19 PM
Superman
Visiting Guest
1991 Car

Recently, sometime my car starts and sometime it doesn't.

I don't think it is the starter because there is no clicking noise. I know it is not the battery because I just put a new one in. I know it is not the alternator because sometime it starts and sometime it doesn't.

However, when I tap on the fuse box, then sometime it starts and sometime it doesn't.

My old battery leaked Sulfuric acid on some of the cables. When I move these cables around on the positive terminal of the battery and tap on the fuse box, then it starts.

Any idea?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-04, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Superman

I don't think it is the starter because there is no clicking noise. I know it is not the battery because I just put a new one in. I know it is not the alternator because sometime it starts and sometime it doesn't.

When I move these cables around on the positive terminal of the battery and tap on the fuse box, then it starts.

Any idea?

Thanks
Sounds like you already have all the answers and the diagnosis.

Old 12-26-04, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Superman
Any idea?
Replace the cables and check for a loose fuse or wire going to the fuse box

Old 12-26-04, 07:20 PM
Superman
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Desi501
Sounds like you already have all the answers and the diagnosis.

Could it be anything else before I replace the cables? I just don't want to replace all the cables and it turns out to be something else and waste my time and money.

Thanks

Old 12-26-04, 09:46 PM
Remove the cables from the battery, make sure the inside of the terminals and battery posts are clean and free of corrosion/acid and make sure, when reinstalled, terminals are tight around posts and tight at starter solenoid.

That might help, but really, all signs point to replacing the cables since you said moving them around gets it started and acid was leaked on them which will cause even more problems in the future. I doubt tapping on the fuse box has anything to do with it.

Old 12-26-04, 11:16 PM
Superman
Visiting Guest
Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.

Replacing all the cable for this car could be a hassle. I will have to rewire lots of cable then. The other day, I went to the junk yard and got one of the cable which is the cable that I think that is causing the problem.

Any suggestion on changing these cables? Should I just take it out to the shop and let them do it?

The car is an Eagle Talon(sister car is Eclipse)