Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Brown foam In radiator

12-26-04, 02:42 PM   #1  
Brown foam In radiator

I have a 93 Ranger with the 3.0 V6. I had a small coolent leak at the timing chain cover. I went to put anti freeze in the radiator and had a brown rust looking foam on the cap and in the neck. I flushed the engine out till it ran clear and appiled some stop leak for the seal leak( very time comsuming job to replace t chain gasket) .While following thier instucions I still am noticing brown water and foam. I have been told it is a head gasket issue. Is this right?? There is no water in the oil on no large amount of a steam from tail pipe.

Thanks on advance
will

Sponsored Links

12-26-04, 07:18 PM   #2  
I suspect it is brown because the whole cooling system wasnt flushed out good and while foam could be a sign of a head gasket problem a small amount of foam would be nothing to be concerned about.
you could see a shop and have them test for a leaking head gasket by having them check for exhuast emissions entering the coooling system.

12-27-04, 04:46 AM   #3  
Headgaskets?

We do not see alot of 3.0 liters with headgasket problems? (4.0 liter,yes) Is this by any way an automatic? What about the trans fluid? What does it look like? The trans cooler would be in the radiator an just might be the problem?

12-27-04, 05:06 AM   #4  
No stickshift going to flush it again . I have to drop the oilpan to replace the t chain cover gasket right? the leak orignates from there

12-27-04, 05:12 AM   #5  
No!

Don't drop the oil pan, It will come off without doing that. When you go back with the timing chain cover gasket the (front cover gasket kit)should have a 2 small corner gaskets for the oil pan.

12-27-04, 05:16 AM   #6  
I am a fairly able mechanic who much time should allow to do this I was thing about 8 hours

12-28-04, 08:48 PM   #7  
You don't say how many miles. On some engines a loose timing chain can wear through the cover and allow coolant and oil to mix.

Search this Thread