2000 Jimmy,, No Heat

Old 12-27-04, 01:08 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2000 Jimmy,, No Heat

Kinda need some help diagnosing my problem.
2000 GMC Jimmy 4DR, 4WD, 78K miles.
The fan works fine, blows on all levels. No leaks. Radiator and overflow are full(original dex-cool). Truck does not run hot, normal operating temp.
With the fan on and the temp turn to hot,, it blows fine,, just "cool" air, except when I accelerate,, the temp seems to get a little hotter. Now for a little more info on the dex-cool,, about a month before I noticed the heat didn't work,, the truck took a "gulp" of dex-cool,, I asked a mechanic about this and he told me,, for some reason these model GMC's will do that, about every 30 to 40K miles. The amount of the "gulp" was about a quart maybe 2,, there was a little bit left in the overflow.

My first thought was the thermostat. My next thought was the heater core. I asked a few "backyard mechanics" about it,, they said everything from the thermostat to a plugged heater core or flat out bad heater core. I bought a new thermostat (wishful thinking), but now I can't even see where the thermostat is on this truck . Anyway,,, any ideas will sure be appreciated,, thanks in advance.

Old 12-27-04, 01:48 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
While you are waiting for others to check in, you may want to go on any search engine and type in dexcool. There are a number of problems being reported with this coolant.

Old 12-27-04, 02:11 PM
D
Flush the heater core with a garden hose and you should be fine.I would flush the entire cooling system as you are pushing the limit on dexcool at 5 years.The thermostat is right on top in the front of the intake.

Old 12-27-04, 02:18 PM
W
WOW,, is flushing the heater core with a hose, easy????????????????
I might have a problem with the garden hose thing anyway,,, its 10 degrees right now. LOL. If I took it to a "10 Minute Oil Change" place that does "cooling system flushes",, would that work??????

Old 12-27-04, 03:29 PM
W
Geez,,, after doing some research on this dexcool,, it appears as if I have nothing but problems on my hands for a while. Looks like dexcool is a chonic problem with these GM engines and Gm refuses to acknowlegde it. I guess I have another question now,,, can I flush out the dexcool and replace it with regular anti-freeze??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: