Fuel Pump

Old 12-27-04, 01:29 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump

Is it possible for a fuel pump to make a noise? My car recently died, like someone turned off the key. The problem was the fuel pump. It was replaced along with the fuel filter about one month ago and the car has been running great until about a week ago. I have a 1993 Buick Century. All of a sudden it started hesitating when you step on the gas really bad. It almost feels like it could be the plugs or wires. This is what I thought at first but now I'm not so sure. I hear a low humming. It is coming from the rear of the car.It's not wheel bearings or a bad tire because it does it when the car is standing still. All you have to do is start it up and you hear it. I know the fuel pump on this car is located near the gas tank. Could this noise I'm hearing be coming from the fuel pump? Maybe it's defective?I can hear another noise like something opening and closing when I start the car up and when I turn it off along with the humming.Remember when cars had carburetors and there was this flap that opened and closed? It made a noise when it opened and closed. This is what the opening and closing noise I'm hearing sounds like but it is definitely coming from the rear of the car. What do you think? I want to take the car in but cannot afford any more repairs right now but if I thought it was a defective fuel pump I'd bring it in because I feel there would probably be a minimal charge. Any suggestions about what the problem could be would be very much appreciated.

Kathy

Old 12-27-04, 02:05 PM
Yes, that could be the fuel pump your hearing. You could remove the gas cap and listen for it out the filler. Just because it's noisy doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Someone will have to do a fuel oressure test to determine that. The other noise your hearing could be many things. If it's coming friom inside the car, it could be A/C doors opening and closing. Someone would have to listen to that to get an idea what it is.

Old 12-27-04, 02:05 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Your fuel pump is electric and is in the tank. You will hear it best if you have someone else turn on the ignition, but not start the engine, while you listen at the gas filler tube - with the cap removed. It should run for a few seconds and then stop once it pressurizes the fuel line.

Fouled plugs and / or old (bad) ignition wires will cause hesitation. You could also have the garage which changed the pump do a fuel pressure test to rule it out.

Old 12-28-04, 09:48 AM
K
Fuel Pump

Thank you both, Desi501 and goldstar for the information.You helped me decide whether or not to take it back to the shop.It sounds like the hesitation is something other than the pump. I will take it in when I can afford to have the wires and plugs changed and at that time I will ask them to check the fuel pump pressure. The minute you start the car you hear the pump humming. It does not go off at all. It hums the entire time the car is running. Again. thanks for the advice. I am learning alot about many different problems just from reading the posts on this board.

Kathy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: