Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to repair dent

Visiting Guest

12-28-04, 09:16 AM   #1  
deltaskye
How to repair dent

A garage parking employee scraped my 1989 Jetta against an underground pillar. The pillar crunched into the metal that's over the tire and also took off a rubber side strip. Estimate to repair this damage is over $800, so I'd like to attempt it myself. I'm primarily concerned with getting rid of the rust and repairing the paint, less concerned with removing the actual dent. Also I want to reattach the rubber strip. Is it a matter of sanding off the rust and priming and painting? If so what tools do I use? Do I glue the rubber strip back on? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

12-28-04, 02:55 PM   #2  
You could sand,prime and paint and be good to go or you could make the garage pay for the damage if it was their employee whom caused the damage.I would do #2.

Visiting Guest

12-28-04, 05:37 PM   #3  
deltaskye
The garage company will not acknowledge its responsibility for the liability. As you probably know they post notices that they are not responsible for damages, and although I know the parking attendant caused the damage (no one else could have done so) I can't prove that I didn't do it or that he did.

What do I use to sand down the rust? Since the car is over 15 years old, is it possible to match the paint?

Thanks so much for your advice.

NY

12-28-04, 08:37 PM   #4  
Matching the paint is easy, look it up online, ask a collision and auto body place or call your nearest VW dealer for the best info. But if you've got some time and patience, sue the garage. Sure they've got the "we are not responsible for damage done to vehicles left" signs, they almost have to for insurance reasons but that's just not it. By law, they are responsible if their employee, while woking for them, causes damage to your vehicle, period. I'm willing to bet that if you just had a lawyer write them, they'd cough up half of your $800 quote. You'd probably drop $115 on the lawyer. I don't know if saving $385 is worth your time and effort but you could also go to Meineke and get an "Ambassador" paint job for a little more than $200.

Visiting Guest

12-30-04, 05:46 AM   #5  
deltaskye
Great advice. I didn't know about the Meineke option so I will check that out.

I already had an attorney write the letter to which there was no response. They are waiting me out, I'm sure, to see if I decide to spend the money on litigation. It was hard to even find an attorney who would bother with this. They all talked about the cost vs. what I would receive in return.

I think I'm going to contact Better Business Bureau and see if they will accept a complaint on this matter.

Thanks so much.

12-30-04, 06:04 AM   #6  
I don't know if saving $385 is worth your time and effort but you could also go to Meineke and get an "Ambassador" paint job for a little more than $200
I think you meant Macco.

Last edited by toyotaman11769; 12-31-04 at 07:41 AM.

OH

12-31-04, 07:35 AM   #7  
Paint damage

You might get hooked on doing your own bodywork like I did...wife and teenage daughter...constant scrapes and dents) but if you know they did it, try calling your local television station. We have a "Contact Channel 13" line here in town, and a phone call from THEM usually gets the people their money VERY quickly, and they sometimes have less evidence than you..Busineses do NOT like to have their name in a bad light on Television!

Good luck!

NY

12-31-04, 10:02 PM   #8  
Hey, thanks Larry!! That's right, "Oh oh, better get Maaco." Now I remember. I like to use Meineke, Maaco and Aamaco interchangeably. Is it George Foreman, "double A, m c o" or the forementioned 'better get' catch phrase, I never know.

NY

12-31-04, 10:13 PM   #9  
I don't know if this board allows links or urls, but here's the Maaco paint site. It doesn't quote a price, I guess they differ slightly by regions or localities.

http://www.maaco.com/pages/Paint.htm

If you can['t see it, the url begins with the usual flurry of w's followed by Maaco, then the punctuation commonly referred to as "dot" with one of these [/] numbers, then the word "pages", another /, "paint", one more dot, and finally the letters h, t, and m.

Visiting Guest

01-01-05, 11:01 AM   #10  
deltaskye
I've been trying since yesterday to purchase paint online from PPG, but the site isn't working. I'll keep trying. It was fun to use their system to identify the correct color for my old car (1989 Jetta). I've been inspired by this site to do this repair myself. Since the car is so old (but only 81,000 miles) I'm not concerned about the dent, just the rust. I'm going to get some rust removal stuff and primer too.

Thanks to everyone for the super advice!

NC

01-01-05, 08:03 PM   #11  
Be warned about cheap paint jobs! I know a couple people that have had them from a national auto paint chain, and AT FIRST the paint looks great, all bright and shiney, but after about a year, the paint oxidizes and looks very very dull. You can wax it and it will look much better but only for a few months before it looks very dull again. If you decide to get a cheap paint job, try waxing it at least every 6 months after its painted and that should help it from oxidizing so quickly. You get what you pay for and a little more that $200 isn't going to get you much, but since its an '89, you probably don't want to spend a whole lot. Good luck on the court case if you go that way!

Search this Thread