Heat gasket failure. 150K miles. Junk it?

Old 12-29-04, 09:39 PM
Heat gasket failure. 150K miles. Junk it?

98 Chevy Lumina Basic Sedan 3.1L V6. Bought new. Has been very reliable for last 150K miles. Now the head gasket is blown (water in oil). Owner's manual recommends timing gear replacement at 150K. Head gasket + timing gear = $1500 according to mechanic.

The bottom line question is when do I call it quits? Do I just keep repairing a car until unrepairable? Or is this the best time to junk the car and put $1500 in a replacemt car?

Say I got it repaired for $1500. Since water has been in engine, could other engine parts have been already damaged like main bearing etc? As a matter of fact, I found the problem because of loud engine noise this morning. Indication of major problem?

For Your Information: To me a car is a transportation with functional value only.

Thank you for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-04, 07:51 AM
shop around. I had water in my oil in a 96 lumina 3.1L and it was a bad intake gasket. My local shop repaired and gave a tune-up for $700. They did a nice job. That wasn't the timing gear though. But my local dealership even quoted $750 for the intake gasket job without a tune-up.

I have no idea what the loud engine noise would mean for future reliability.

Old 01-05-05, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Talked with mechanic. He thinks it is more likely that gasket than head gasket. He is going to work on it. If it is that, he is going to fix it for about $400 (no tuneup, just that and oil change). If head gasket, I am not putting any more into a 150K mile car.