Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Transmission 95 Taurus

12-30-04, 01:48 PM   #1  
Transmission 95 Taurus

Our '95 taurus is a great car except for the transmission being gone (?). The problem began when it would not go into gear without my increasing the accelerator somewhat. This worked ok for a while until the accelerator trick didn't work anymore and I had to call for a tow. Now while in the driveway when the engine is cold, I start it, and it will go into gear for about 6 feet and then it acts like it is not in gear anmore. Then I let the engine get cold again and I can go another 6 feet. Talk about short rides huh? Is the tranny gone or am I missing something simple here. Fluid is full and bright pink. 130,000 mileage and otherwise a great car. any suggestions appreciated. THANKS.
-Bob

Sponsored Links

12-30-04, 02:31 PM   #2  
It is tranny time sorry to say so call around for the best price and warranty.

12-30-04, 08:01 PM   #3  
Trans gets a bad rap?

These trans get a bad rap but the sad thing is how many times was the trans serviced? With a 130,000 miles it should have been serviced every 30,000 miles if not sooner. At least 4 times. So $400.00 verses $2000.00.

Visiting Guest

12-31-04, 03:19 PM   #4  
NDL
I actually have an older Taurus myself. I'm wondering, on the balance, how are these transmissions overall? Not to start any wars here, how are they compared to GM's 4T60-E?

I've heard many different things. Some say that Ford (Taurus) transmissions are okay, while other's say "it's not a matter of if, but when" - which is a shame, because overall, I think the Taurus is a good car.

Group Moderator

FL

01-01-05, 08:00 AM   #5  
The trannies in that vintage Sable & Taurus are in the top five at least of worst pieces of engineering crap ever to come out of FoMoCo (followed very closely by the 3.8L motor also installed in the same Sables & Tauri). VERY common to have failed on vehicles with less than 50,000 miles even with proper preventive maintenance. I've towed so many of them to tranny shops in the last 5 years that I can't count that high. In addition I have personal experience; the Sable my brother used to have had the tranny fail at about 40,000 miles, the timing chain cover gasket at about 50,000, and a head gasket at around 55,000. Numerous other parts such as ac compressor, motor mounts, etc. before the car ever saw 60,000 miles. Compare this to, for instance, my wife's '95 Camry (which we just replaced) that still has original tranny and no engine work required at over 150,000 miles.

My $.02 worth.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

01-01-05, 09:04 AM   #6  
When ours was towed by the tow company the driver said that he tows more of these than any other vehicle. First I asked if it was because there are more of them on the road than any othe vehicle. He explained that 90% of his tows on this make and model years was due to transmission failure. Makes me think about trading my wifes 2002 Taurus soon. Happy New Year.
-Bob

Visiting Guest

01-01-05, 12:05 PM   #7  
techtim
Posted By: davo It is tranny time sorry to say so call around for the best price and warranty.

I also have a 95 Taurus. 90K miles, regular fluid/filter changes on the automatic. What is the ballpark $$$ to get a failed tranny repaired?

Tim

Visiting Guest

01-01-05, 09:49 PM   #8  
NDL
In the end, it would seem that brand loyalty, not product superiority, is the cause of people offering favorible opinions of AXOD or AX4N transmissions.

I thank everyone for setting the record straight !

01-02-05, 04:41 AM   #9  
Tran service?

Most shops don't have a Trans Service Machine, These machines ex-change fluid from the Trans System, A true trans service is not just dropping the trans pan and changing the filter any more. With about 6 qts of fluid being replaced. (filter is not a filter anymore it's a screen) With the fluid ex-changer you can flush the complete system with about 16 qts.The_tow_guy and NDL are right but the KEY word in the_tow_guy statement was VINTAGE. Yes, I do work for FORD but If you watch and read what I have to say. You will see a difference. I don't claim to know it all!

Visiting Guest

01-02-05, 04:50 AM   #10  
techtim
Posted By: hogfan A true trans service is not just dropping the trans pan and changing the filter any more. With about 6 qts of fluid being replaced. (filter is not a filter anymore it's a screen) With the fluid ex-changer you can flush the complete system with about 16 qts.The_tow_guy and NDL are right but the KEY word in the_tow_guy statement was VINTAGE. Yes, I do work for FORD but If you watch and read what I have to say. You will see a difference.
Are you saying that the mid 90's vintage transmissions will be more reliable with a full tranny flush?

Also, are the automatics on the newer Taurus's (2000+) better? I am considering a 2001 currently for my daughter. Also looking at a 2000 Civic LX, but I like the size and safety features on the Taurus better (ABS).

01-02-05, 04:56 AM   #11  
Taurus early 90's back.

Taurus early 90's back had some problems. But lately NO! Service is the KEY on any TRANS.

Group Moderator

FL

01-02-05, 06:45 AM   #12  
The price for the overhaul runs in the $1500-2000 range as I recall; depends on the shop and the area you are in.

The Tow Guy is NOT a Ford fan and I echo what the tow guy told Bob53. Supposedly the newer Taurus's don't have the same problems, but I don't know what the cut-off year would be - late 90's I suppose. The failures on the older models was not 100%; I've towed a BUNCH of the same vintage that had well over 100,000 miles without tranny problems, but the rate is SO high as to be ridiculous. I personally would never own one and was overjoyed when my brother's oldest had a mishap and the vehicle ('93 Sable) is no longer in the family.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

01-02-05, 08:54 AM   #13  
I'm closing this thread because I beleive the original question has been answered.In the future posts stating or debating brand versus brand will be deleted unless it has merit towards the original question.Read the posts and see how many attempted to answer the question that started this thread.

Search this Thread