Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

No signal from antena

Visiting Guest

12-30-04, 03:50 PM   #1  
watkinsFL
No signal from antena

Have the stock Bose radio in '96 max. Can't get a FM signal for the radio. I change out old radio with another Bose because CD wouldn't work nor would the radio. Now I have CD working but radio will not get a signal. All it does is scan through the FM freq. bands. If I check the resistance between conector plug from the back of radio to the antena leading to the back of the car, should the circuit be closed or open?
Any other ideas that could be problem?
Thanks,
Tim

Sponsored Links

12-30-04, 04:34 PM   #2  
Even with the ant unplugged your should be able to receive a strong local FM station.

A resistance check doesn’t always work because some ant leads have a capacitor in them.

A cheap standard ant plugged in and the base grounded to the body will serve as a test antenna.

Visiting Guest

01-01-05, 10:52 AM   #3  
watkinsFL
Cheap Ant.

Larry,
Thanks for the advise. I'll go get one and check it out. Let me ask you one other thing. The maxima has the power antena and in the trunk there is a small siver box that has two leads going in and out. Realized later that this box is for the keyless remote for the doors, etc. However, it appears the antena plugs into this box. I opened the box and found a circuit board. Would you know if this board could be causing my problem?
Now, based on what you said I'm wondering if the antena plug leading into the back of the radio is dirty and I just failed to recognize it? The old radio was doing the exact same thing.
Thanks man,
Tim

01-01-05, 11:11 AM   #4  
I doubt the connection on the back of the radio is dirty.

Seeing you already replaced the radio and still have the problem

It could be that box, could you bypass it? Maybe you can plug “test” ant in the back to isolate the problem. Work a logical sequence with the test ant starting at the radio and working your way back.

Visiting Guest

01-01-05, 11:14 AM   #5  
watkinsFL
That's what I'm going to do. I'm going to grab a cheap antena and test the back of the radio first then I'll would backwards. Thanks man. Will let you know what I find out.

Search this Thread