89 Prelude 2Liter SI Ignition timing problem

Old 12-31-04, 07:51 AM
Jimca
Visiting Guest
89 Prelude 2Liter SI Ignition timing problem

I need to know how to reset the ignition timing on the ECU of my 1989 Honda Prelude SI.

The problem started after a new timing belt was installed by a local shop. The engine ran fine for a while Then after a few months, the engine developed a loud clicking noise. A few miles later the engine power dropped dramactically When I removed the valve cover, I noticed that the bolt holding the rear cam sprocket was loose and had come undone by about 0.2 inches. I thought that the noise was the sprocket moving on the camshaft spline. I tightened the bolt and adjusted the valve clearances. The engine started, up normally and the noise had gone. The power, however, was still pitifully low. I noticed that the power got worse as the engine warmed up. The plugs were sooty. It sounded as if the engine was severely retarded. I connected a timing light and confirmed this. I followed the shop manual procedure for setting the timing but there was not enough adjustment in the distributer mounting to bring the timing to 15 degrees BTDC. Then I think I made a fatal mistake. I restarted the engine with the shorting plug still in the yellow timing socket. Now the timing I need to know how to reset the ignition timing on the ECU of my 1989 Honda Prelude SI.
It backfires and sounds like hell.I tried to reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery and by removing the clock fuse to no avail. Surely I donít have to buy another ecu. And why did it happen in the first place? The check engine light works normally and does not come on. I checked the MAP and the coolant temp sensors and they seem to be working normally. Can any body help?

Last edited by toyotaman11769; 12-31-04 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Information repeating, confusing
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-04, 08:20 AM
Welcome to the forums

I edited your post because you repeated the same exact paragraphs 3 times. I don't think you meant for that to happen.

Now for your problem: I would put money on the keyway on that loose gear is elongated and the cam timing is off. Seen it many times, take it apart and you will see.

Old 12-31-04, 04:12 PM
Jimca
Visiting Guest
That's a good point, when I tightened the sprocket bolt I could have locked rear camshaft in a wrong position w r t the sprocket due to play in the keyway. I will check this. My main problem now is getting the ignition timing advanced enough to run the engine. This seems to be the ECU, which I fear needs to be reset.

Old 12-31-04, 04:42 PM
I never heard of reseting and ECU for timing, just a procedure like a jumper or spout connector.

You are going to have to repair the damage caused by the loose pulley, you just can't tighten it up. You don't know which is the correct position to tighten at.