No cooling at all. 32 low & 100 high.

Old 01-01-05, 04:43 PM
No cooling at all. 32 low & 100 high.

97 Lumina 3.1L. 85K miles. A/C just stopped working one day. 32 psi low and 100 psi high at idling. Outside temperature in the 70's. I will take the car to a mechanic on Monday. But what kind of trouble is this? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-05, 07:02 PM
Discharge line is hot from compressor to condenser, ambient temperature from condenser to expansion valve (orifice), cold from expansion valve to the entering point to evaporator.

Return line is warm to touch all the way from evaporator to compressor.

My shop manual points to compressor failure. The pressure chart indicates high side needs to be ~200 psi or higher even at 70 degree ambient.

Old 01-03-05, 02:17 PM
It's probably low on refrigerant and will need leak tested.Is it warm enough for a/c use there?

Old 01-05-05, 07:20 PM
My apology for not listing static pressure 50 psi both sides. This is just right per shop manual. Oh, yes, in central Florida it goes upper 70's in the daytime. Leak testing with hand held detector negative.

Old 01-06-05, 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by puter
My apology for not listing static pressure 50 psi both sides. This is just right per shop manual. Oh, yes, in central Florida it goes upper 70's in the daytime. Leak testing with hand held detector negative.
No, 50 psi, static would not be normal unless it's awful cold outside. Static pressure doesn't mean much anyway. Like Davo told you, it appears to be low on refroigerant. What needs to be done is recover what's in there and recharge with correct charge and see how system works then. Then a little more thorough leak test should be performed.

Old 01-06-05, 05:08 PM
Thank you, Desi501 and Davo. I added about 12 oz of freon and it's blowing cold air now. High 200-220, low 45, static 75 psi, warm engine, 70's ambient temp. You were absolutely right. There is no way 50 psi can be the right charge for freon 134a at 70F. I think I should put a little more but I just didn't overdo it. I am not a pro and should be careful not to overcharge it.

Thanks a lot.