I drove thru puddle and power steering went out. How can I fix it??

Old 01-02-05, 11:56 AM
Question I drove thru puddle and power steering went out. How can I fix it??

Hi All. Happy new year.
I have a Plymouth acclaim I think a 94. I drove thru a deep puddle under a viodoct that I did not see in the dark. Right away my power steering went out. Will it dry on its own and work again?? 10 hours later It was still not working right. It steers but without power and is very hard to turn the wheel. Thanks for any tips or helpful advice. Take Care, Katie

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-05, 12:22 PM
Trying to help,

The first thing I'd check would be the power steering belt. Look for the power steering pump and then at the pully on the front of it. There should be a belt going somewhere.....usually to the crankshaft pully. On my car there are 2 belts. A wide long one and a smaller skinny one. The skinny one is the one that drives my steering pump. It needs to be fairly tight (Use your thumb and press down in the center of it between the two pulleys) and pysically connected.

If you're having trouble finding it, maybe take it to an auto parts store, check the owner's manual or a shop you're famaliar with and have them check it??

Hope this helped!!

Old 01-04-05, 02:49 PM
Question where can I get diagtam to replace belt??

Thanks Desi. You're right, The belt came off. Where can I find a diagram or schematic or picture to show how it goes back on?? The diagram is not on my hood. Is there a site? Thanks for any help.

Old 01-05-05, 12:00 AM
Found this at Autozone's

web site. Scroll down the page a bit, your car looks like it's about halfway down.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8008af1c.jsp

It doesn't look too complicated overall, but you may need to take the front belt off first if you have trouble getting the power steering belt back on. This website mentions a special tensioning tool, you may be able to borrow or rent that though.....maybe someone here knows an alternate way of doing that. If not, I'd install the belt and tighten it to until the belt deflects about 1/4-3/8 of an inch in the middle under moderate thumb pressure. Then I'd take it to a shop that you know and have the tension properly set.

You may want to replace the belt, depending on it's condition and how long it's been since you changed it....maybe the other belt as well??