Chevy Trans Question

Old 01-03-05, 08:01 AM
MAIMON
Visiting Guest
Chevy Trans Question

I have a 2000 Chevy cavalier with about 40k miles. The front right tire hits the curb very strongly. I had to get the rim, the absorbers, the lower arm, some tray,... changed. After all this, it appeared that the transmisison is hesitating when stopping uphill, and the noise is louder than before.

Could that hit damaged the transmission, or there may be some damaged sensors causing this hesitation. The dealer wants to charge $80/hour to diagnose.

How heavy is the transmission?

What trnasmission maintenance should be done on this car?

Many thanks.

Kevin

Old 01-03-05, 08:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
have you...

...checked the fluid level yet? you should but it may not have a dipstick...so take it to someone who can raise it up to access the fill level plug. it may be that during the course of repair the axle was removed and some fluid was lost. don't know what you mean by the noise is louder than before.

yes...hitting it on the right side could have damaged the trans...have the fluid level checked and if that doesn't solve your problem, bite the bullet and have it diagnosed. if there is further damage from the accident, your insurance company should stand behind you...

as for weight...it's too heavy for you to lift comfortable by yourself...unless you are a pretty beefy individual.

your owners manual contans the maintenance schedule for the vehicle...including when to service the trans.

Old 01-03-05, 08:40 AM
MAIMON
Visiting Guest
I did check the fluid level and added anti-slip quart.

I have liablility insurance only and the accident is not covered.

I am thinking of replacing the trans myself. I have not done this before, but I can follow instructions if I have a manual that explains what to do. What do you recommend? Where do you buy a trans from?

Many thanks.

Old 01-03-05, 11:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
anti slip?

fluid additives are not recommended...nor are fluids containing friction modifiers. you could be damaging your trans without even knowing it. did you perform the level checking procedures according to the instructions?

as for replacing the tranny...you'd be money ahead to have it properly diagnosed first...perhaps when it was jolted the plastic filter neck was cracked or something like that. a service would be much cheaper than a new/used transmission.

my advice...get a real diagnosis by a competent trans tech

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: