Abandoned car keys

Old 01-04-05, 05:30 AM
naga_t
Visiting Guest
Abandoned car keys

Does anyone know how one can get the keys made for cars, if someone abandons it on your property?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-05, 05:54 AM
Call the police and report it as an abandoned car. Or are you trying to use it now?

Old 01-04-05, 06:48 AM
I believe with the VIN# you may get them from the manufacturer
But I am unsure of the procedure
You may want to give a local dealer a call and find out

If that's not the case try a local locksmith

Old 01-04-05, 07:56 AM
Group Moderator
I had this happen a few years ago when I bought an abandoned car at an auction. Called a locksmith and he made two keys for $75.

Last edited by stickshift; 01-04-05 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-04-05, 01:16 PM
I think your going to have to prove ownership for either one of those options.

Old 01-04-05, 01:38 PM
I agree my parts guy won't make a key unless you have a registration card and a driver's license.

Old 01-04-05, 05:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It may be on your property, but it's not your vehicle. Call the police and they will handle it legally.

Old 01-05-05, 05:22 AM
hoops...

in virginia you must notify by registered letter the owner of said vehicle and give them so many days to get the vehicle from your property. if they don't comply then you must submit the appropriate paper work to the division of motor vehicles...yada, yada, yada...it's definately a hassle, but it's the legal way to handle the situation. calling the police does nothing as it's a civil matter.

as for keys...you can remove the lock cylinders and take them to a locksmith and they can make keys from the codes...or you can replace the cylinders altogether. here...it's way cheaper to remove the cylinders yourself (one from a door and the ignition) and have keys made.

Old 01-05-05, 12:03 PM
In my experience, most locksmiths will make a key for anybody who says they lost theirs, without any proof of vehicle ownership or identity. A number of years ago, one of my daughters (14 at the time) was going through some difficult teenage stuff and decided to run away from home. While my wife and I were out for the day, she called a locksmith and said her parents were out of town and she had lost the key to her car (actually my car). The guy came right out and made her a key! On credit, no less. She then took the car and left, though she had no driver's license. Fortunately, she wised up after an hour or so and came back. You can believe that locksmith and I had some words when he called to see why his bill wasn't being paid.

Old 01-05-05, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by md2lgyk
In my experience, most locksmiths will make a key for anybody who says they lost theirs, without any proof of vehicle ownership or identity. .
Not lately. Most of your keys nowadays have security systems built in and just punching out a blank won't get the car started any way.

Old 01-09-05, 05:24 AM
Stupidity

Only a Locksmith with no reguard for personal property would make a key for someone on word of mouth only. This is my profession here in Florida, and it is something we have to watch for. This goes for cars, houses, and down here mopeds also.

Old 01-09-05, 01:59 PM
My friends and I are into rental properties and the way we get rid of them is to put'm on the street and then the police will have it towed off.

The times that I wanted the car it was kind of a pain because you would have to track down the owner and have them sign the abandoned vehicle papers.

Old 01-10-05, 09:49 AM
tell them you saw someone dealing drugs out of it. They'll haul it off pronto.