Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Nissan Sentra 1991

Visiting Guest

01-04-05, 06:10 AM   #1  
facanadian
Nissan Sentra 1991

I am an owner of a Nissan Sentra 1991. I bought this car from my brother for $1. It is my get to and from work car. Thats all. My goal is to keep it running for a few more years. It has 260 000 km on it and seemed to be running great until recently. When leaving it parked for a few days(I do this often as I am a flight attendant) and the weather is wet and damp I have recently encountered problems. The car starts right away but after driving for about 10 minutes it just dies!! I have all my electrical power but the engine just stops. I try to turn it over without no success. This has happened twice in the last 6 months under similar weather conditions. The first time I left it at a garage for 3 days untill I returned home from trip. The mechanic said my car started fine after a few hrs and all I needed to do was change my sparks and wires. I did this and it just happened again recently. This time Mr Tow truck driver told me to change my distributor cap also. He also said to spray my engine with a silicone spray.
I really need this car for work but am not sure how much more to spend.
So far I have replaced the cat. converter,muffler, brakes, water pump.
Pls advise!!

Sponsored Links

01-04-05, 07:02 AM   #2  
Yes, a new dist. cap and fuel filter and always park it with a full, or mostly full, tank of gas
But I suspect you may have another problem

To be clear:
This only happens after it's been sitting for days, and it's been damp/wet out
It starts fine, then warms up and conks out (10 min or so)
Then you say you have electric, but the engine stops/won't turn over*
It then can start after sitting a few hours

*Do you mean the engine won't budge or the engine turns over but won't catch and run?

Visiting Guest

01-04-05, 07:38 AM   #3  
facanadian
1991 sentra problems.

It turns and almost starts. Of course I dont want to try to often as I dont want to flood it.
What about fuel pump?

01-04-05, 07:48 AM   #4  
Posted By: facanadian What about fuel pump?
Ah, that's the next question
When you turn the key to "on" there shoud be a slight buzz from the electric fuel pump for a few seconds
You probably don't notice it most of the time
If you can find it when the engine is working that will help you find it when the engine is not, you'll know what to listen for

If it is an intermittent problem it may be difficult to find
But when it's in failure if you don't hear that buzz...the pump may be on it's way out

01-04-05, 07:53 AM   #5  
Some good reading;
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8013258e.jsp

Visiting Guest

01-04-05, 09:56 AM   #6  
facanadian
Dont forget my car starts without a problem !! Its just these 2 times during very damp and wet weather it decided to stop running after about 10-15 minutes.
I will get my sparks back in and replace the distiputor cap and see what happens. This site is amazing . Thank you all for your quick responses. I know just the basics about auto mechanics and every peice of advice helps.
The distributor cap looks pretty straight forward to change.
Wish me luck!!

Visiting Guest

01-04-05, 12:17 PM   #7  
facanadian
Fuel Filter??

I just spoke with the past owner(my brother) and he says he never changed the fuel filter.Since my car starts fine then runs for a bit then all of the sudden stalls does it not make sense that fuel is no longer getting through.
I am grasping at straws here!! Can I change my own fuel filter with my limited mech skills?

01-04-05, 12:39 PM   #8  
Posted By: slickshift Yes, a new dist. cap and fuel filter and always park it with a full, or mostly full, tank of gas
Yes a new fuel filter is always a good idea, especially in your case
I don't know about your particular vehicle, but it's almost always a good DIY project

Visiting Guest

01-04-05, 03:21 PM   #9  
facanadian
Thx for all the advice
Will tackle this tomorrow out in the cold.
Will let everyone know how it turns out.
I just bought my fuel filter and it certainley looks pretty simple to change
cost me $20.

Visiting Guest

01-05-05, 07:11 AM   #10  
facanadian
Put the sparks back in and car started right away. Now its in my warm garage where I will change the fuel filter and dist. cap.
I was told to be carefull of fuel spraying out of hose from fuel filter. Should I pull fuse first then start engine and let it stall before detaching fuel filter hose?
Thx

Visiting Guest

01-06-05, 10:02 AM   #11  
facanadian
Distributor $$

Is $125 a good price for a used distributor for my 1991 1.6l Sentra??
I think I need to get a new **** box to get me to and from work!!

01-06-05, 11:49 AM   #12  
Not sure of the procedure for relieving fuel pressure for specific to this vehicle, but w/o others instructions I would try that first

Don't know about the $ on the dist., but I think there is a cam sensor in that dist. which I would check before replacing the whole dist.
(You may have to pull the dist. to get to it, I'm not sure)

Visiting Guest

01-10-05, 03:32 PM   #13  
Master101
My guess is " The Coolant Temprature Sensor". When the signal is " cold engine" the ECU directs the fuel injector to supply rich mixture to help with the starting and the cold-engine running.

Perhaps your CTS is bad and always sends a "cold engine" signal. In that case the engine would start properly but after warming up, it would have trouble with the rich mixture.

Other thing to look at is your starter motor, could be a loose wire or the starter is about to die.

Search this Thread