help replacing heater core (88 gmc truck)

Old 01-04-05, 07:42 PM
rex855
Visiting Guest
help replacing heater core (88 gmc truck)

trying to replace the heater core in my 88 gmc and getting the heater box out from under the dash is hard as heck. Anyone out there have any advice?
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-05, 04:27 PM
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d80087612.jsp This may help but the best thing would be a service manual for the truck.It is very difficult to give step by step instruction in the forum on a repair such as this.A local library may have a manual you can use for free.

Old 01-13-05, 04:50 PM
carlitothemac
Visiting Guest
Exclamation heater core g-20(1991)

just wondering if you repaired the heater core on your van. cus i'm stuck and i have the haynes manual. and it don't explain crap in detail. just wondering if you found something.i have averything off and that black box has me stuck. i'm about to break it. thanks in advance carlos.

Old 01-13-05, 08:36 PM
rex855
Visiting Guest
hey carlos,

the hayes manual sucks. it doesnt tell you that you need to disconnect the air conditioning tube on the top and the one below that both go into the firewall. that and the fact that i had to remove most of screws that hold the right side dash to get enough room to take the box out.

good luck

Old 01-14-05, 01:48 PM
carlitothemac
Visiting Guest
heater core

so what manual did you use. cuz i'm stuck..

Old 01-14-05, 07:07 PM
rex855
Visiting Guest
i did use the manual to a point. But after that I pretty much just started un bolting everything there was until i got it out. The easiest way to get it out with out pulling the heater box out is too just un screw the cover of the heater core. Can be a little trick depending on your transmission hump. First disconnect the hose on the fire wall. The cover will have about 6 screws total to remove cover, you can see all of them except one, it located close to the firewall (its the one i had the most problems with), I did this all lying on the floor of the truck with a flashlight. After you get all those off there should be one retaining screw inside that holds the core in. Thats it, I wish i knew that before i pulled the whole heater box out would of saved me some time. if you have anymore questions, i'll try to help out anyway i can.

good luck