Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

clunk on 2001 carvan frunt end

Visiting Guest

01-05-05, 05:18 AM   #1  
Larry Zahner
clunk on 2001 carvan frunt end

I have a clunking sound comming from the front of van when you drive over any bad spots on road replaced the bushings on the front end noise still there

round man

Last edited by Larry Zahner; 01-18-05 at 01:24 AM. Reason: fixed problem

Sponsored Links

VA

01-05-05, 06:48 AM   #2  
what bushings?

were replaced?? can you bounce it and cause the noise? it could be many things from something loose to a worn out ball joint or a failed upper strut mount. noises are really hard to diagnose over the net...take a competent tech for a spin and demonstrate the noise and then let that person look for it.

01-05-05, 07:20 AM   #3  
clunk

years ago I bought a used '84 pontiac 6000.

It too had a front in clunk. In my case the problem was loose brake calipers.

01-05-05, 04:02 PM   #4  
Sway bar links could be a possibility.Loose front end parts also,for safety sake at least let someone who has knowledge of those vans look at it.Then we can help with the repairs as needed.

Visiting Guest

01-14-05, 08:14 AM   #5  
Larry Zahner
clunk on 2001 carvan frount end

took van in for inspection on frount end teck told me that the top plate of the strut is ***** no safty problem $400.00 to fix how hard of a job is this to do myself

VA

01-18-05, 05:05 AM   #6  
not DIY'er...

...replacement of the upper mount or bearing (if it's replaceable without replacing the mount itself) requires disassembly of the strut after removal. this means relasing the energy of the partially compressed spring which requires special equipment...the spring stores enough energy to KILL...so don't mess with it unless you have access to good tools and experience in this area.

Search this Thread