Low Battery Voltage

Old 01-05-05, 05:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low Battery Voltage

Last night I began receiving an alert stating: "Battery Voltage Low". Would this be an indication that my battery is at the end of its natural life? The car is a Volvo 2001 V70 XC. If there were an alternator issue what kind, if any, of alert would I receive? I purchased this car used and am assuming that this might be the original battery. What is the usual OEM brand battery that comes in this car?

Old 01-05-05, 06:33 AM
basically...

...a low voltage warning may be all you get in either case (battery or charging system) and they should both be tested according to the manufacturer's procedures. It's also conceivable that you are at the end of the battery life AND there is a charging system failure...it happens...especially in modern vehicles that demand lots of electrical power. basically we've reached the limit on what conventional 12 volt charging systems can produce, but consumers keep demanding more and more in the way of electrical needs. your owners manual may shed some light on what warnings you can expect and what actions to take when you get one. in this case, get it checked sooner rather than later so it doesn't leave you sitting stranded. let us know what is found...

Old 01-05-05, 08:05 AM
Thanks for your suggestion. I did check the owner's manual last night and it gave precious little info. related to my situation. It did not address that particular low voltage warning at all. It only gave warnings and info concerning jumping off and replacement of the battery.

Old 01-05-05, 06:58 PM
J
An advance auto parts store or auto zone should be able to check the battery and charging system but I'd call them 1st to make sure since you don't want to make any unnecessary trips because your chances of the car cutting off somewhere leaving you stranded is pretty good if its the alternator. You need to get this fixed ASAP. If its the alternator putting out an insufficient charge, your headlights will be dimmer than normal and some of the accessories might not work correctly when the engine is running. If the car starts misfiring, pull off the road immediatly before the engine cuts off. If the engine cranks slower than normal but the engine and all electrical accessories work fine when the engine is running, its proabably a bad battery or connection. Also, check the drivebelt and make sure its not loose.

Old 01-06-05, 10:59 AM
H
Couldn'y you tell if it is the battery or the charging system by when the low battery voltage light comes on? e.g. if it is not on when driving, it seems to be the battery; however if it is on all the time it would be the charging system(?)

Old 01-07-05, 08:24 AM
The low voltage message didn't come up on the display right at startup, only after a few minutes of driving. By the way, it turned out to be a dead alternator.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: