Need bearings everytime I get rotation

Old 01-05-05, 07:48 AM
Need bearings everytime I get rotation

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger 4x4. Both times that I have gone in for a tire rotation, I have left the shops with a thump-thump-thumping. The first time, I went back to the dealer and the new front right wheel bearings that I needed were covered by warranty. This time, I'm past my warranty...

So, what the heck happens when my truck goes up on a rack that causes me to need wheel bearings?

Thanks,
Sampson in Wisconsin

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-05, 09:22 AM
There's nothing that could have caused that problem. It has to be just coincidence.

Old 01-05-05, 09:25 AM
What about over-tightening the lugs maybe?

The only thing I can think of is that when the truck is being supported by the rack on the frame, the wheels then sag and maybe tweak the bearings somehow - I really am just guessing... I have very little automotive aptitude.

Old 01-05-05, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by sdp321
What about over-tightening the lugs maybe?
No relationship at all. If it's four wheel drive, it's likely a hub type bearing any way and no way to overtighten it. I'd almost lean toward a misdiagnosis, at least on the second one. It's pretty common for the rear tires to form a cupping on the "non-drive" axle but in your case it's rear wheel drive so that's not likely.

Old 01-05-05, 06:18 PM
I think Desi501 was on to something the tires are the problem and when they rotate them back up front the noise is present. Check those tires all the way around the truck,They may of just put them back on the rear? Wheel Bearing are sealed unit.