2000 explorer Oxygen sensors

Old 01-05-05, 05:53 PM
pappaone
Visiting Guest
Question 2000 explorer Oxygen sensors

I have a 2000 ford explorer and was told I need to have both bank 1 and bank 2 sensors replaced. What does that mean and is it something I can do myself? thank you in advance for your input.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-05, 06:08 PM
Why did they say both HEGO's were bad? Lean codes P0171 and P0174 in memory? Or Self Test. If you have both lean codes this could be a vacuum leak,contaminated MAF sensor. Oxygen Sensors (HEGO'S) just don't go out that often. 4.0 liter sohc motor have o/rings on the upper intake that are known to give problems with vacuum leaks. Maf sensor get contaminated from dirty air filters. But replacing those Hego's is not hard both are in the exhaust pipes coming out of the exhaust manifold 7/8" wrench will be needed.

Old 01-05-05, 06:23 PM
pappaone
Visiting Guest

I only know they used a code reader to determine that was the problem, but I will also check out the MAF sensor..thank you

Old 01-06-05, 02:22 AM
There is no code that would indicate bad O/2 sensors. That would be determined by some specific manual testing and more than one being bad is unlikely. Just because you get a code about an O/2 reporting something wrong doesn't mean the O/2 is bad. It's probably telling the truth and there is another problem as Hogfan points out.

Old 01-06-05, 03:20 PM
pappaone
Visiting Guest

Thanks to both of you ..hogfan & desi501.. I will research this problem further. Will start with the MAF sensor since I had this problem on a Olds I use to have. The check engine light is not on all the time which makes it really strange. I wil post what I find out when I get to the bottom of it.

Old 01-20-05, 08:12 AM
margetak
Visiting Guest
Unhappy O2 sensor

I have a 96 Explorer that about 3 years ago the dealer said both O2 sensors were "bad" and had them replaced. About a year ago I also had a problem (and replaced) the electronic module (ECM ?)that controled the windows, wipers and other small controls.
Recently I noticed it all of a sudden smoking (whiteish not black) out of the tailpipe and it stinks to hell. Kinda like an over rich condition or O2 sensors again or MAF ? Any way to check MAF or O2 or ? without diagnostic equipment ? Or just take it to the dealer and get it in the shorts again.
THanks

Search this Thread