check engine light flashing

Old 01-05-05, 08:49 PM
check engine light flashing

2000 Mercury Sable 24v DOHC 78,000 miles

Went on a 1400 mile trip over holidays with no problems. filled up about 100 miles from home and the the car sat for 3 days. (in the rain) As soon as I started it the light started blinking ( manual says- emission problem). Car ran terrible! Brought car in for diags and code was misfire. The shop quotes me $550 for 1 Fuel injector, complete cleaning of all fuel injectors, fuel filter, tune up, and something else that I can't remember. and labor. Well I bite, and 2 days later the car is still in the shop with the same problem. They can't figure out what it is.

And, No I didn't pay anything yet.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by thepooder; 01-06-05 at 02:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-05, 04:17 AM
Don't know with out codes. Just a guess would be spark plug wires,injector's I have seen on the 3.0 liter only. These plug wires go down inside the cylinder head. And they tend to arc inside the head were you can not see them.

Old 01-06-05, 05:22 AM
do they...

...also have trouble with composite intakes cracking on those 24 valve engines?

you could offer to pay them for the parts and take it to the dealer...

Old 01-06-05, 03:44 PM
Today they put it back together and drove it for an hour. They said it is running much better, but the light came on. They are now ordering a
"Smoke machine" (whatever that is) from Snap-on.

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-06-05, 03:56 PM
Smoke Machine.

To look for vacuum leaks.

Old 01-06-05, 04:27 PM
We could still be a lot more help if you got use the code numbers it's setting. A flashing check engine light usually indicates too much raw fuel going into the cat. Now it sounds like your looking for a lean problem with the vacuum leaks unless these are evap system codes. That wouldn't affect the running though.

Old 01-06-05, 08:13 PM
I ask them for the codes.

anything else?

Old 01-07-05, 06:02 AM
flashing MIL...

...indicates impending catalyst damage caused by misfire. the ecm doesn't know if the misfire is caused by ignition, fuel or induction...it just knows that the crankshaft is accelerating and decelerating abnormally and the default is to turn on the light to try to avoid catalyst damage.

smoke machines are great for air leaks in the induction system.

i have to wonder if when the light came on this time...did it set the same code as when you first took it to them. you ALWAYS double check...and whether or not it was flashing the second time is useful to know. that may be a reputable shop you are using...but their expertise in driveability diagnostics is suspect.

Old 01-08-05, 05:24 PM
Stopped in there Sat. They supposedly fixed it. They said the Fuel ingector they put in wasn't sending the correct fuel. I will find out Monday for sure. I will keep you all updated.

Thanks

Old 01-13-05, 03:40 PM
All is good. There are alot of new shiney parts under the hood! I am sure they replaced alot more than they originally thought, they also stuck to the price! Thanks for all the input.