Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mustang Headlight has disolored film

Visiting Guest

01-06-05, 07:22 AM   #1  
caldwejo
Mustang Headlight has disolored film

I have a 1996 V6 Mustang Coupe. The glass on headlights has an opague film that has gotten worse with age. From what I understand the headlight assembly is a sealed unit, which means that I can't take the glass off and clean it. Is this correct?

Secondly, I have gotten a quote from the dealership for replacing the lamps to the tune of $400. I would like to save money on this by buying the lamps online and installing them myself. Or taking them to a local garage to be installed. Is this a good idea?

How difficult is the installation? Can a local garage do this? My ultimate concern is that I or the local garage will accidentally set off the airbags with the sensor behind the headlamp.

Thanks for any advice.
Joy

Sponsored Links

01-06-05, 12:16 PM   #2  
any garage and yourself can change it its not that bad
air bag shouldent be a concern unless you are useing a sledge hammer which you shouldent need try to find one at your local autobody parts suplier thay are usule resonably priced

Visiting Guest

01-06-05, 02:18 PM   #3  
JK052370
I used to have a 1995 T-bird and i did a lot of shoping around for headlights. The cheapest i came across was about $100 a piece just for the lamp. They are not cheap at all. If the film on this lamp is bothering you, trust me, you are going to want to replace both headlamps. They will not match at all. The difference wiill be night and day.

01-06-05, 04:02 PM   #4  
Some where I read that you could take some real little polishing compound and buff the lense back. I have not tried this yet. But it's worth a try.

01-06-05, 04:25 PM   #5  
I'd be a little concerned about the quality you'll get buying something like that online. You see what kind of problem developed with an OEM part. Believe me, the inexpensive aftermarket part will be no where as good a quality as the OEM was. They may not last any where near as long as the originals.

01-06-05, 04:37 PM   #6  
If the lights are plastic you could try this stuff.I have never used it personally I just know of it.http://www.armor-dillo.com/products_britelite.htm If you buy it and try it let us know how good it works or doesn't work.It would be much cheaper than 2 new lights.

01-06-05, 10:52 PM   #7  
The headlights are going for about $80 each @ mustangsunlimited.com
This doesn't include bulbs
They are a reliable dealer
I have purchased from them for years
You can remove the assembly for cleaning if you wish or you can do it on the car

Restoring Lexan Headlights:
First wet sand with 600 grit sandpaper
About 10 mins. each one
Then wet sand with some 1200 or 1500 grit
10 mins. each
Then polish with Autosol (I've heard mothers metal polish and others work well too, but I've only used Autosol)
Rub it in, let it dry, then buff it off with a buffing wheel

If it's on the car you can get a buffing wheel to go on a drill
Also be sure to tape off the paint-you don't want to sand that
Off the car- a buffer and plastic compound works wonders

I have used this process many times with great results, but mostly on slightly older models where the lexan turned almost biege/brown (think '93 and earlier Mustangs)
Without seeing yours, I'd say start with the polish alone, if that doesn't do enough, then try the 1200 0r 1500 followed by the polish (you can try a small area)
By this time you'll prolly know if you need to back-track to the 600
But I think yours are a newer type that might not need it

01-07-05, 03:54 AM   #8  
if you decide to replace them they are only about 33 each at atozautolights.com and I have not had any problems with the headlamps I have installed from this company so far.
some parts you are better sticking with oem parts but on something like headlamps that often are discolored on cars even less than 5 years old I think the manufacturer could of built a headlamp of better quality and wouldnt be at all surprised to see an afetrmarket product lasting longer.

Visiting Guest

01-07-05, 08:57 AM   #9  
caldwejo
Mustang headlamp assembly

I think I will try the polishing compound first. Hopefully this weekend will be a good time for the project, if the weather drys up in Atlanta.

Depending on the results- I will then search for the lights online at an OEM. The car is almost 10 years old and eventhough I still consider it my baby.....not sure I want to put too much money into it.

Thanks for the tips and feedback. I'll post an update to let you know the outcome.

Joy

Search this Thread