1990 toyota camry Power Steering Pump

Old 01-12-05, 07:37 AM
axf
Visiting Guest
1990 toyota camry Power Steering Pump

Hi Guys, could use some help... Maybe toyotaman can help me!
Can you get me an exploded view and some good infos on my 1990 camry power steering pump? I think I may be having a problem with a couple vacuum hoses. My Haynes manual is not very helpfull...

Please send any infos to [email protected]

Thanks!
andre

Last edited by toyotaman11769; 01-12-05 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-05, 08:34 AM
I don't believe the power steering pump has any vacuum hoses... I replaced a head on a 90 Camry and while there are many, many vacuum hoses I don't remember any in the power steeering area.

Old 01-12-05, 09:10 AM
Their are two vacuum hoses that go to a pressure idle up switch, it doesn't matter in what order they go.

It's purpose is to raise the idle when the pump makes a certain amount of pressure.

Old 01-12-05, 01:39 PM
axf
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Larry, that's alreay good to know! I had very low idle speed until I remooved both hoses and jumped them. Seems like the pump conections are clogged or something... If you could send me a good grafic and repair tips it would be fntastic. Have no problem about removal, Hayne's manual is fine for that.

I don't know what happend when I wrote my e-mail, but it's wrong. It's: [email protected]

Thanks anyway...
Andre

Old 01-12-05, 02:23 PM
Thats what would happen if you hooked the hoses together. The two hoses are just a air bypass arounf the throttle plate.

I would turn the big screw on the throttle body to raise the idle. It may be under a rubber plug. Its not the small 8mm nut with the yellow paint, thats the throttle stop....DON'T TOUCH!

Old 01-12-05, 02:34 PM
axf
Visiting Guest
The idle speed is automatic, it has no screw. Don't you think there must be something wrong in the PS pump?

Is it possibily harmfull to the engine to have the hoses jumped?

Once again, thanks...
Andre

Old 01-12-05, 02:40 PM
It does have an idle speed screw and the hoses should not be jumped.

There is nothing wrong with the PS pump, your providing the wrong solution to your problem.

To approach the problem you should have all your basics covered. Check for codes, timing set correctly , idle speed adjust etc

Old 01-12-05, 02:53 PM
axf
Visiting Guest
Thanks...

I'm quite sure I read in the manual that later models (such as mine) had no idle adjusting screw, but an Idle Speed Control Valve (ISC valve). But as you say so, I'll check tomorrow (it's 11:00 PM here), and I'll let you know something tomorrow.

By the way, the reason I thought there was a problem in the PS pump was that one of the hoses was disconected for many miles (don't know how many).

Thanks,
Andre

Old 01-12-05, 02:57 PM
It does have an IAC but it's not like the newer ones, it does not have complete control of the idle speed.

Old 01-14-05, 05:13 PM
axf
Visiting Guest
Hi!
In fact there was a screw, as you said, but it didn't make any difference... I checked codes and there is an air flow meter code (32). I'm replacing it Monday but I'm not quite sure that's the problem. some time ago the car was addaped to run on liquid petrol gas (EFI is not active when this sistem is running, LPG is mixed when entering the intake) and then, one day a spark plug cable started malfunctioning and let the spark get away to the intake. There were explosions on the intake and the air flow meter was damadged, I tried to fix it but looks like it's not perfect. What I'm trying to find out is what other parts were affected. This idle speed is just one of the problems, and it's not the worst... I have almost no power at all above 2000 RPM! If you have any more tips for me I appreciate, if not... thanks anyway!
You've already been a great help!!

Hope I can post you some day with better news...

Andre

Old 01-14-05, 09:54 PM
Now we find their is more to the story! This not just a simple case of a low idle speed.

Thats why it is inportant to provide all information about the vehicle.

I'm sure you air flow meter isn't calibrated properly and contributing to your low idle problem.

Old 01-18-05, 05:40 PM
axf
Visiting Guest
Hi Larry!

As I thout, the air flow meter didn't make mutch of a diference. idle is maybe better but still have no power. I'm not quite sure if it's better or if it's just me that want it to be better, you know... Anyway, I'm running out of options, so I'll perform a compression test tomorrow to check for low or uneven compression (may be a cracked valve or so?). If that's ok I'll have the injectors checked and cleaned and finally remove the intake to look for any air leak (due to the explosions). I replacd the fuel filter 6 months ago and checked it last week - it's fine. Ignition is fine too, replaced distributor cap with spark plug cables and new spark plugs as well last summer.

What do you think? Do you recommend these tests I'm about to do? Have you got any other suggestion?

Thanks, once again!
Andre

Old 01-18-05, 06:32 PM
Cam and ignition timing