93 Aerostar sudden drop in fuel economy

Old 01-12-05, 08:16 AM
rkooy
Visiting Guest
93 Aerostar sudden drop in fuel economy

My van runs great, no performance problems. Oil pressure, temp, charge, acceleration, all normal. I usually get 650km per 80L fill up. The guage usually barely moves until I drive 150km on a full tank.

With this last fill up, however, I only drove 150 km and the guage is less than 3/4 full. I topped up the tank to verify that the guage is working. The tank took 30 litres!

Any ideas what could be wrong here?

Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-05, 10:52 AM
hi
weather factor is one of the effect to cause fuel economy.
the colder it gets the more fuel you will used. same when you fill up the cold has a tendensy to compress the gas flow and u had more guel compare to summer that makes it expands.

cheers

pg

Old 01-12-05, 01:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
hi, -I have the same van and recently noticed similar . I'd think it far more likely that in winter the engine is having to work harder. -longer warm up at first, then powering blower, wipers etc . Much more load on the alternator. Possibly also due for a plug change in my case.
I'd like to hear from some Ford mechanics on this.

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 01-13-05, 09:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi Ford Guys, -
- we'd appreciate any suggestions for our fuel economy problems.

Old 01-13-05, 10:36 AM
You are correct nomind and pgtek
Some other things to consider:

O2 sensors getting old and not working as well as they should (I consider them maintainence items not failure items), but not bad enough to "throw a code"

Winter gas in your area-some areas have a winter formula and some engines do not care for it (I had one that dropped over 20% with our "winter gas")

Coolant not up to specs, including thermostat-make sure your engine is not running cold (I have even had summer/winter thermos for vehicles before)

Proper oil viscosity for your climate

These and the previously mentioned items could be conspiring agsinst your gas consumption

Also that vintage EEC-IV computer can store codes and not throw the check engine light so you might wanna pull them/get them read