Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toyota Tacoma 2001 not going into first gear on mornings

Visiting Guest

01-12-05, 11:21 AM   #1  
ddh
Toyota Tacoma 2001 not going into first gear on mornings

Hi
HAppy new year.
I got a 2001 Tacoma V6 3400. When I start the truck on a morning ,and put it into Drive, D, it does not go into first gear. It seems to go into 2nd gear.I have to put the gear stick into L for it to move off. Afterwards,maybe after 5 minutes, I can move the stick into D, and it would work ok and change to all gears. It works normally during the rest of the day.

What should I do?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

01-12-05, 01:13 PM   #2  
Mileage and time of ownership? Service history?

Visiting Guest

01-12-05, 01:51 PM   #3  
ddh
Now 90,000 miles. Purchased used at 80,000 miles.

Should have been well serviced by previous owner. Transmission shows after-market sealant used like silicone (on the outside) . Should there have been a gasket.?

I suspect possible previous transmission issues, but worked ok for the last 6 months.

Alternatively, should there be an automatic choke that heats up the engine at the first crank in the morning?

01-12-05, 02:18 PM   #4  
Sounds like a valve sticking in the valve body.

Maybe a fluid change may help? Not a believer of mechanic in a can but if you drop the pan and there is no metal or debris I would add a can of Lube-guard with the fluid.

There is no gasket the Toyota FIPG should be orange.

Search this Thread