Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1987 Chevy Caprice won't start

Visiting Guest

01-13-05, 04:55 PM   #1  
Badkitty
1987 Chevy Caprice won't start

I went to leave for work yesterday and my engine wouldn't turn over. I didn't concern myself with it because it was cold. It still will not start today and it was in the high 60's.

The car is a 1987 Chevy Caprice. I have ruled out the starter, battery, fuel pump (from previous experience ) already. The options everyone has left me with are alternator or carberator. The boyfriend thinks its that my gas gauge broke and I'm out of gas.

I turn the key and give the gas a pump (like I'm supposed to in order to get the land boat sailing) but it just continues to crank without quite catching and turning over. I worried about flooding the fuel line and tried it numerous times after without pumping, but still the same result. The battery is fine and everything seems to be in order. What the heck is going on here? Any ideas/suggestions?

P.S. Don't tell me to get a new car...if that was an option I would have done that a looong time ago.

Sponsored Links

NC

01-13-05, 05:19 PM   #2  
Have you ever had a problem with the gas guage before? If so, you should try putting more gas into it. It's not the alternator.

Visiting Guest

01-13-05, 05:20 PM   #3  
Badkitty
I never had a problem with the gas gauge in the past, but on the other hand it seems simple enough that it could just die and stop reading. I mean, the car is 18 years old..

NC

01-13-05, 05:32 PM   #4  
I highly doubt that you would run out of gas the same time as the gas guage breaking. You need to check for fuel to the carb and spark at the plugs. It might be something simple such as a coil wire or distributor cap or rotor. Are you sure you have a carb and not fuel injection?

Visiting Guest

01-13-05, 05:35 PM   #5  
Badkitty
Pretty sure, but the boyfriend thinks is fuel injection, He iwll be over later for a look-see.

I am thinking that I ran out of gas because the gauge busted. It would explain my better than normal gas mileage. I don't have a trip counter in this car, but I only need to fill every 2 weeks...1.5 if I drive a lot.

The last time I bought gas was the 3rd (10 days ago)...so it was a day or two before that since the charge doesn't go through on my bank til a couple days later....

NC

01-13-05, 05:49 PM   #6  
1st thing you need to do is be sure you have gas in the tank. Use a gas can to put gas in it or if you have AAA they could bring some. That needs to be the 1st thing you need to make sure of....gas in the tank.

Visiting Guest

01-13-05, 05:53 PM   #7  
Badkitty
Yeah...gas in the tank is a good thing. Someone will be bringing over a can a bit later to test the empty tank theory.

If that is not the case though, are there any other ideas about what it is or where the things are I need to look at and how I actually go about checking them?

NC

01-13-05, 06:29 PM   #8  
Go to this website. http://www.autosite.com/garage/symptoms/s006.asp

There is a lot of good information there that might help you....more than I can type. You would really need a Haynes or Chiltons manual to show you all the locations of things to check and how to check them. They are very good books on auto repair available at auto parts stores, some book stores and some libraries. Make sure you or whoever is working on the car follows all safety precautions. There are some dangers if you don't know what you are doing or you could make the problem worse.

I do believe you have a carb, from looking at the autozone website.

Visiting Guest

01-13-05, 08:42 PM   #9  
Badkitty
Not the gas....I'm just screwed I think.

01-14-05, 04:17 AM   #10  
You need to check for gas at the carb and spark at the plugs.Assuming the fuel pump is ok doesn't cut it.If your guage is broken a can of gas may not be enough to start the car.Try spraying starting fluid into the carb and see if it fires and dies.If it does it's a fuel problem if not could be spark or valve timing.

Visiting Guest

01-14-05, 08:17 AM   #11  
Badkitty
I pretty much understood what you're saying, but I think its time to bum a ride to Pepboys and shell out the $16 for a Haynes. Some weekend this will be.

Search this Thread