Changing from gas struts to air struts.

Old 01-14-05, 07:36 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Changing from gas struts to air struts.

How hard is it to change the gas struts on the rear of my 95 Buick La Saber over to air struts?And can it be done?How do I go about it?Do I have to take the rear wheels off?Cecil.

Old 01-14-05, 09:16 AM
JK052370
Visiting Guest
Why would you want air shocks over gas shocks? After a long ride on a bumpy road, air shocks will develop bubbles in the hydraulic fluid, and render the strut rather innefective temporarily. The whole purpose behind putting the gas in these shocks is to prevent those bubbles from forming and maintain a smooth consistent ride. If it is to save a couple pennies, I would spend a little more for the gas shocks. To answer your question, yes, you do need to take the tire off, and you will most likely need a special spring compression tool unless you can find a complete strut and spring assembly. It is not a very long job, just be carefull. Broken springs can hurt.

Old 01-14-05, 10:01 AM
C
Strut changing.

Hi JK, I had a power chair lift and reciever hitch installed and it bottoms out very frequently.Had the car looked at and they say the struts or bad.Need to replace them.T thought it might have some advantage to be able to raise it up if after I install them it stiil may drag bottom some.You convinced me to use gas struts.Where can I buy the spring tool?Do you think I coud handle the replacement?I'm 69 years old good shape and mechanicaly minded.Cecil.

Old 01-14-05, 01:47 PM
D
If you can get air struts put them on bubbles will not get in the oil.The wheels need to come off and you will need a floor jack and jackstands along with metric tools.The job requires some physical strength but if you feel you are up to the job it is not hard to do.I know people your age that have the strength required and others your age who don't only you know your limitations.After changing the struts an alignment will be required.

Old 01-14-05, 02:26 PM
Installing the air struts is the easy part. The problem you have is that your car isn't equipped with the auto leveling system that's needed to operate them. They are designed for an automatic system and you don't have it. You could create a manual fill system but you'll have to do some adapting to the lines and fittings to accomplish this. It's a whole lot easier to switch from air to gas.

Old 01-14-05, 05:14 PM
D
The person is attempting to lift the rear of the car to support added weight of a power chair and trailer hitch to carry it so it doesn't bottom out all the time.Gas shocks will not help the person acheive the needed goal.This is part of an older post that was brought up as another question.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: