1986 mercury needs your help again pleeeease

Old 01-16-05, 11:22 AM
jharvey73110
Visiting Guest
1986 mercury needs your help again pleeeease

1986 mercury grand marquis 5.0 engine. I'M HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE BRAKES AGAIN. WE REPLACED THE MASTER CYL. AGAIN AND BLED THE BRAKES THEY WORKED BETTER THAN THEY HAD IN A LONG TIME. THEN SATURDAY I GOT IN MY CAR AND HAD NO BRAKES. WHEN I CHECKED THE FLUID THE BACK BOWL WAS EMPTY. I FILLED IT UP AGAIN. NOW I HAVE AIR IN MY LINES AGAIN. MY QUESTION IS COULD SOMEONE TELL ME IF THIS IS NORMAL TO LOSE BRAKE FUILD AFTER CHANGING THE MASTER CYL. OR SHOULD I LOOK ELSE WHERE FOR THE PROBLEM? I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY SIGNS OF LEAKS ANYWHERE. ALSO I HAVE BEEN TOLD TWO DIFFERENT THINGS COULD SOMEONE HELP ? I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IF IT WERE MY BRAKE BOOSTER THEN IT WOULD BE LIKE I DID NOT HAVE POWER BRAKES ( THE PEDAL WOULD BE HARD) AND THE OTHER SAYS I WOULD HAVE NO PEDAL. WHICH IS IT SO I WILL KNOW IF I SHOULD BE CHECKING THIS. THANK FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Old 01-16-05, 03:25 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is not normal to loose brake fluid like that. Pull off your rear brake drums and inspect the wheel cylinders for leaks at the rubber boots. Also inspect/replace the rubber brake hose that mounts on top of the rear axle. These get old and cracked. You may also want to check along the frame for a small leak in the steel tubing that comes from the master cylinder and runs to the rear rubber brake hose.
You can do the same for the front brakes also, there is 1 rubber hose that goes to each brake caliper and the caliper itself has an internal seal and dust boot that is right behind the pads. Check the steel tubing also.

Old 01-16-05, 05:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No question there's a leak that shouldn't be there. Now you just have to find it. You shouldn't be losing a drop of that fluid.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: