Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

91 ford econoline van 150

Visiting Guest

01-15-05, 09:19 AM   #1  
sparkync
91 ford econoline van 150

Hi, it's me again. This time I've got ignition problems, I think, with my 91 ford econoline 150 van. Sometimes when I turn the ignition on, the starter hangs up, and will just turn over and over. I had to take the battery cable off the last time, to get it to stop. This happens periodically, not all the time. My guess is that the key switch itself is sticking, keeping voltage on the starter all the time.
Now for the more knowledgeable input, I need one of you "real mechanics". Any other ideas before I attempt my own endeavors? I'll have to keep a wrench for the battery handy, if this keeps up. Not only am I worried it might tear something up or be dangerous, it is quiet embarrasing when it happens Thanks for the input.... Steve

Sponsored Links

01-15-05, 10:36 AM   #2  
There is a starter solenoid on the fenderwell near the battery, The pos cable goes right to it. Replace that and you should be good to go.

Long time Econoline owner. it is pretty common.

Visiting Guest

01-18-05, 06:15 PM   #3  
sparkync
Daniel, the solinoid is not located there on my model, I don't think. I have 2 relays there, but no solinoid. I just had the relays replaced a few weeks ago. And also the starter has been replaced a few months ago. The problem has happened before either of these were replaced. These were replaced due to another problem. Wonder if you might know of something else I might check?
Thanks again.. Steve

01-18-05, 09:01 PM   #4  
Daniel is right they have called the STARTER RELAY a STARTER SOLENOID for years. It's a Starter Relay thats bad!

Search this Thread