need point info

Old 01-14-05, 03:15 PM
milmom411
Visiting Guest
need point info

Hi can any one share with me the point settings on a 1970 chevy dumptruck, 50 series - 5 ton. I need to change them and I cant find the info on them any where.

thanks

Old 01-14-05, 04:01 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if you have a dwell meter then your dwell should be set between 28 and 32 degrees, dwell is the most common method and most accurate method to set points either while cranking engine over or using the window on chevy dist caps and adjust it while running.
cant help you if you are trying to set points using feeler guages.

Old 01-14-05, 05:21 PM
D
You are asking me to go way back but I think the gap is .016 or 16 thousandths.I agree with bejay dwell is the way to go most accurate.Remember to check the timing after adjusting the points.You may want to change it over to HEI for more reliability.

Old 01-14-05, 06:51 PM
C
Not to disagree but there in my opinion is nothing un-reliable about point type ignition. Yes you do have to change the points as a tune up item. The spark voltage is a little less than HEI but adequate.

The trade off is no maintainence for HEI but parts are more expensive and it is much more difficult to troubleshoot if there is a problem.

With points you just change them when you change the plugs. And as mentioned adjustment with a cheap dwell meter is a snap on GM distributors. The specs are.019 for new points and .016 for used points per the manual I have. And 28-32 degrees is correct for the dwell angle.

If something goes wrong all it can be is:
1. burned points
2. bad condensor
3. bad coil
4. bad ballast resistor
5. broken wire

All parts are cheap, easy to diagnose, and replace.

You can buy a lot of points for the cost to convert to HEI

Old 01-15-05, 09:16 AM
D
The fact that they are a maintainence item makes them less reliable.Reliable means being able to repeat the same process over and over again the same every time.Points can not do this,electronic ignition was developed because of this shortcoming with points.Emission standards could not be met because points varied so much in their operation,rubbing blocks wear and points bounce causing eneven dwell among cylinders.If you ever get the chance compare a point ignition and electronic on a lab scope and you will see what I mean.As for cost the downtime also comes in to play if he needs the truck and he has to change points because it won't run properly or start,money is being lost.I know you are not aware of this but he is trying to get back out making money plowing,instead he needs to change his points with electronic he would still be out making money.

Old 01-15-05, 12:02 PM
C
Davo: You make good points but this guy has a 1970 truck not a modern computer controled engine that can take advantage of HEI. What you say is true and I know very well about the differences that will show up on a lab scope. Point bounce will not be an issue on a truck motor that will not see high rpms. A 1970 engine does not have the engine managemant system to take advantage of the HEI system. Not saying HEI is not better, just saying he will never notice the difference.

You talk about down time. He still has to put plugs in the truck as a tune up measure. I don't know about you but I can change points, condensor & set the dwell in about 10 minutes so I doubt if he can plow enough snow in 10 minutes to ever re-coup the cost of HEI.

In a modern engine it would be foolish to put point type ignition in and expect it to perform up to par. You could put fuel injection on a Model T but you still have a Model T.

If he has a stock 1970 truck engine, point ignition will serve him well and have the advantages I mentioned.

Old 01-15-05, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by car nut
A 1970 engine does not have the engine managemant system to take advantage of the HEI system. Not saying HEI is not better, just saying he will never notice the difference.
Exactly what engine management system is required to run electronioc ignition? A couple of wires?
You say he will never notice the difference? He'll notice it every time he has a hard time starting it in that ice cold weather because the points resistance is hurting his KV and that old standard ignition coil will foul out plugs on a carbed engine quicker than you can warm it up. There is NO advantage to having to deal with points, only disadvantages as Davo stated.

Old 01-16-05, 08:43 AM
C
Sorry desi you missed my point. I was not talking about the engine management system to run the HEI. I meant the engine managemant system to control fuel. timing etc. as we have on modern engines. If plug and point replacement are not neglected on an engine it should have no trouble starting in below 0 weather. If he feels he needs higher voltage for hard start conditions a high voltage coil will do the trick at much less expence than HEI and it is a simple bolt on.

I'm not arguing that HEI is not better because it is. However in my opinion it is not worth the trouble and expence to put one on a 1070 truck engine. If he has an HEI system laying around that he can put in ---sure why not.

Old 01-16-05, 09:35 AM
M
A new HEI distributor is around $100 and comes with cap and rotor. Add a set of plugs and wires and there's a troublefree set up.

Breakerpoint ignitions are cantankerous old fossils (kinda like me). Elecctronic ignitions deliver hotter spark, deliver better cold starts and can fire plugs breaker points can only dream of. Add that the larger gap exposes more mixture to the spark....

Old 01-16-05, 04:42 PM
B
im sure if the original poster wants to spend the money on converting it over he will, but by the time you buy a reman gm distributer, cap, rotor, coil, ground strap, and dont forget plug wires he will likely have closer to 200 dollars in parts.
if its just on a 35 year old dump truck I would probably stick with the points and condensor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: