Booster/helper Springs

Old 01-15-05, 07:07 PM
Red face Booster/helper Springs

It's time for another question. Still working on my 2005 Astro Van Locksmith truck, and this time it's about adding helper springs to the rear. (Haven't got them yet, just want to be ready, and know what I'm facing). What I need to know is what am I about to get into. The van has leaf springs, so I'm figuring it's pretty much a bolt on thing. What should I be on guard for? What "special" cautions should I know before hand? I'm not really looking forward to being chased around under the van by a loose spring.

cuedude

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-05, 06:26 PM
I've done it on old Jeeps
Most of those were just bolt-ons
Pretty straight-forward
Although there were a couple of different kinds they all just bolted to the existing springs
I can't think why ones for Astrovans should be that much different

Old 02-05-05, 06:16 PM
Update

This afternoon I installed what is known as super springs. They are infact just bolt on, as you said. However, I have noticed one area of trouble. But before I get to that, let me first say that these are not being offered to the general public. I just got lucky enough to find them through alot of phone calls, and online communications. And they are on the expensive side at over $300 with the mounting kit. Now, on to the trouble I had/am having. The brackets are too long. This causes the end of the springs to hit the underside of the truck body braces. There is mention of using a different mounting hole in them, and not a single word as to which model this is used. Well, it's the cargo van. Tomorrow I will correct this, and let everyone know how the adjustment works out. Other than that, these are really good springs. They have noticibly improved the ride and stability of the truck. I still like them, even with the adjustments I have to make.

Old 02-15-05, 04:02 PM
Update 2

Well, I did just what I said I was going to try, and I wound up moving the springs forward a bit. This has helped alot, however, they still sometimes hit the braces. I have made some shackles that should give me an inch or so lift on the rear. It's the only solution I can think of. And because I'll be out of town this weekend, I won't be able to install them until next weekend. When they get installed, I will let everyone know how this works out. (I'm leary of damaging the drive train).

cuedude