'00 Chev Cavalier, no cold start

Old 01-16-05, 04:33 AM
Angry '00 Chev Cavalier, no cold start

2000 Cavalier, 2.2L 4banger, auto, 130K miles (that's not a typo!), driven by wife with very gentle foot (she's the one in the slow lane going slower than everyone else).

For the past TWO!!! years we have had a problem with this car not starting on certain days. It only happens on cold days (30-40F) and is more prone when it is humid and/or rainy. Here's a rundown of the details. If I can't get this thing fixed soon I'm gonna break out the trusty ol' propane torch. We've had it to two different shops and NOBODY has a clue. I refuse to take it to the dealer since I'm convinced it's chevy's fault anyway- they've done enough damage! My Tacoma never gives me trouble (same year model!).

*Battery has plenty of juice, it's 2 yrs old. Starter turns engine plenty strong, and usually just winds and winds with nothing happening, almost as if there was no spark.

*It often will start, and "idle", and then die within 1-2 seconds. Ether used to help, but now it's so bad that a gallon of ether wouldn't work.

*As the day warms into the 50's and higher, it often will crank right up just as if nothing was ever wrong (freakin hypocrite!). Other times, repeated efforts result in a **slightly** longer crank/idle/die routine three or four times in a row, and then finally it'll hang on and run.

*Once the car is warm, meaning a mere 10 degrees above air temp, it runs and re-starts perfectly. PERFECTLY!!

We've towed this thing to the shop multiple times, and it ALWAYS WORKS FINE when it gets there

One shop just gave up but charged us nothing.

The other shop said the crankshaft position sensor was bad (which it probably was b/c it backfired once during a no-crank spell and shot the air filter cover 20ft in the air). They replaced it, and the car broke down a week later 200 miles from home on Christmas vacation
A year ago I replaced the coolant temp sensor based on advice from here, and it seemed to work but as soon as winter rolled around again, WHAMMO. AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!

Car has new platinum plugs, wires, and a somewhat new fuel filter (no change a year ago when it was replaced).

Someone PLEASE HELP ME before I drive this heap of bologna to Deerborne, MI and torch this car on GM's front steps!!! I will absolutely NEVER, EVER buy another GM product again...... You'd think with NUMMI and all, GM would learn something from Toyota.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-05, 05:24 AM
I refuse to take it to the dealer since I'm convinced it's chevy's fault anyway- they've done enough damage!
Maybe if you had them look at it it would be fixed. Working for a dealer we have inside information from the factory available to us. I'm talking stuff thats not in TSB's and may never be.

That being said it's a simple diagnostic matter.

You need to hook up a fuel pressure guage, spark tester and a injection pulse tester (noid lite) to see whats missing when it doesn't start.

Old 01-16-05, 05:44 AM
Check your fuel pressure with a guage.Spec is 52-58 psi key on engine off,you will have to crank the engine to get the max reading then just leave the key on.Im just a GM tech but maybe you should trade it in on a Toyota so you can be happy.Please explain why it is Chevrolet's fault your car is not operating properly.Refusing to go to the dealer is your right but I would bet that they could fix it where the others failed.

Old 01-16-05, 10:37 AM
I appreciate the help--- alldata also has some listing for a fuel pump issue, which I'd been suspecting. I personally don't have the equipment , no know-how, to check what toyotaman suggested, lol and the service shops can't do it b/c it behaves quite gingerly when they are around it.

Why is this GM's fault??? 1 reason----- CHEAP. I never once had problems like this in the full-size pickups from GM. Why would this happen in a car and not a truck? Difference between heavy duty and crap duty. I cannot even begin to list the troubles that we, and a friend with a 98 Cavalier, have had the past few years-- not to mention the AC compressor frying at year 3 (at 70K miles!!!) and the dashboard having more cracks in it than 's skull. And this is a lady-driven car, lord only knows what it would look like it I were the daily driver!! My wife bought this car before we were married, and trust me, I'll know cheap quality when I see it. I'm convinced GM still makes the best pickups (for hard labor and longetivity) on the road, why oh why do they make such lousy cars?

Anyway, I didn't come here to rant and I apologize for taking your time with silliness. I appreciate the help. And will I take it to the dealer?? To replace the part with the same bottom-feeder part that caused the problem to begin with? No offense, but it doesn't matter if Enzo Ferrari replaced the part, it's still garbage in garbage out.

Old 01-16-05, 11:14 AM
The replacement may or may not be the same. Often OEM will revise the part and give it a new number, sometimes they revise it without changing the part number.

Sometimes the aftermarket improve upon the orginal, example Moog problem solvers

Old 01-16-05, 11:32 AM
Master101
Visiting Guest
Might be Fuel Pump

Old 01-16-05, 12:50 PM
Yep your right there is a difference between a $12k car and a $30k truck who would have thought that.