stick shift / clutch issue

Old 01-17-05, 02:39 PM
stick shift / clutch issue

Hello....

I have a 92 Ford Ranger pickup and I am having a problem now and am looking for any ideas.

It has been very cold here lately and when I frist start the truck and even let it warm up for 5 or 10 minutes, the stickshift feels like it is cemented in place. I can push it as hard as I can and still can't push it into gear. After a while I finally force it into gear, and after I drive it for a minute or 2 it is fine again.

This my first vehicle with a manual transmission and I am not really familiar with how to deal with these type of problems. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should check first?

Thanks in advance....

Craig Cooper

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-05, 03:02 PM
Sounds like the gear oil is too thick, try changing it with the proper spec fluid for that vehicle.

synthetic would work well.

Old 01-17-05, 07:44 PM
92 Ranger should be Mercon ATF for the manual trans.... gear oil can hurt these.

Old 01-17-05, 10:57 PM
That would explain the problem if someone put gear lube in it!

Old 01-18-05, 07:26 AM
I have never touched the gear oil in this truck and I have had it a couple of years now. Could the extreme cold we had last week done something to this oil?

How do I go about changing this stuff? or is this something I can get done at the local Jiffy Lube?

thanks again!