Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

drive shaft seal

AL

01-17-05, 03:12 PM   #1  
drive shaft seal

i have a 1986 b200 mazda truck 2.0 liter 1998cc. i had replaced the ujoints and now oil slings out my drive shaft that goes in the transmission.i rechecked to make sure that the drive shaft was in the tranny all the way and it is. to replace the drive shaft seal (that goes on the end of the trans do i need any special tool for this to get the seal out? thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-17-05, 03:57 PM   #2  
JCJC
If theres an autozone by you you can borrow tools from them. It's easy to do.

01-18-05, 05:17 AM   #3  
Just don't be surprised if that repair doesn't last. Driving it with that bad u-joint exposed the tailshaft bushing to continued hammering and whipping of the driveshaft. The seal is most likely leaking because the bushing has been worn away causing driveshaft movement and destroying the seal, although it is possible you just tore it removing the shaft.

01-18-05, 08:30 PM   #4  
Posted By: Desi501 Just don't be surprised if that repair doesn't last. Driving it with that bad u-joint exposed the tailshaft bushing to continued hammering and whipping of the driveshaft. The seal is most likely leaking because the bushing has been worn away causing driveshaft movement and destroying the seal, although it is possible you just tore it removing the shaft.
Take the rear of the driveshaft off. Then see if the yoke will move up and down when it is pushed about 3/4 of the way into the transmission. If it is fairly snug the bushing is ok. If it moves up and down very much the bushing is worn as Desi said.

You can easily put a new seal in and see how it does. Make sure the surface on the yoke where the seal rides is smooth and does not have a groove worn in it by the seal. Either will cause the seal to leak. If it is bad replace the yoke. If the bushing is bad and you want to stop the leak on some transmissions there is a tool to remove and replace the bushing without taking the transmission apart. A good transmission shop or the dealer can tell you if this can be done on your vehicle.

Search this Thread