1987 Toyota MR2 Power Loss Problem

Old 01-18-05, 04:07 AM
GaryLindquist
Visiting Guest
1987 Toyota MR2 Power Loss Problem

I have owned this wonderful 1987 Toyota MR2 since it was new. But, it has had a power loss problem for the last 10 years, or so. This car has 140,000 miles on it.

Specifically, it losses power on the freeway (more so on hills) when trying to drive at speeds in excess of 55 mph. Usually on a long trip everything will proceed fine for a while and then 'out of the blue' the MR2 will start jerking and will decelerate until the speed stabilizes at about 50-55 mph. Attempts at accelerating back up to 65 will start the problem all over again.

I have had quite a few tune ups since this problem started, but this only seemed to cure the problem for about 500 miles. Then, unfortunately, the problem starts again. I have also replaced the fuel filter without much change in its behaviour.

Someone once mentioned the EGR value in passing, but I never got around to replacing it. Well, I would like to find out what is causing this and see if I can get it fixed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-05, 05:23 AM
Isn't it a great car! I bought an '87 new before I was married. Had to change the clutch this year @ 190,000 when I gave the car to my son. 2 Weeks later he was rear ended by a drunk in a pickup truck. The car crumpled exactly like it was supposed to do. The police estimated the truck to be doing 50 mph when he hit, the MR2 was stopped. The MR2 was knocked 35-40 ft fron the front of the truck and the exhaust from the MR2 (flex pipe back) was sitting under the truck. My son got a small brush burn on his head from the visor and his girlfriend didn't have a scratch (both were wearing seatbelts). I'm really impressed on how the car faired.
Sounds like possible EGR or Cat Converter problems on your MR2. Could be a number of things. Have you checked it for codes? Do you have an automatic or manual transaxle??