Ford Ranger oil gauge

Old 01-18-05, 10:04 AM
Ford Ranger oil gauge

Ok, here's the problem:

My 99 Ford Ranger (2.5 L 4 cylinder w/manual 5 speed) shows NO oil pressure when starting on cold mornings. Sometimes it takes several blocks before the gauge immediately bounces to 1/2 between 0 and max oil pressure. (The gauge acts like an idiot light, either off or 1/2).

I thought "this is bad - the oil isn't beeing circulated" and "my engine is going to die". So I took it to the mechanic.

The mechanic said "your oil pick up screen is dirty. it will be $550 to clean it because the engine has to come out."

Then he said "But it's not making any noise like it should if it's not getting oil. So I think it's an electrical problem and you can just ignore it."

SO----what do you think? And where should I go for a second opinion? The gauge does NOT drop to zero at any time other than cold starts, which doesn't sound like a loose connection to me.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-05, 01:18 PM
If you can go 2 blocks before your getting oil pressure that sucker would be hammering like a rock crusher. I suggest you get an aftermarket oil gauge (mechanical not electric) and quit guessing.

Old 01-18-05, 01:32 PM
GREAT idea - thanks.

yeah, it sounds fine. no loud noises. possibly LOW oil pressure when cold?? is that bad?

AND - can I do anything to clean the oil screen other than remove the engine and pan????!!!!???

thanks.

Old 01-19-05, 10:47 AM
For less than $10 you can easily replace the oil pressure switch. It should be right on top of the engine even though I'm not familiar with that model. It is on my Dodge van. The switch will have a small thin piece of white tape on the threads. This is to make sure there is no leakage of oil. Do not remove this before installing. Pop off the wire, unscrew the part, screw in the new part, put the wire back on.

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...pe=417&PTSet=A

Old 01-19-05, 11:15 AM
I think I'll try that too. thanks!