95 Grand Am Overheating

Old 01-18-05, 06:21 PM
onegizmo4u
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 95 Grand Am Overheating

I have been working on my girlfriend's car it is a 1995 potiac grand am. It continuously overheats no mater what I do. I first tried to flush the radiator, nothing happened. Next I have changed the thermostat, still overheats. I do not know what else to do aside from changing the water pump and if anyone is familiar with this model year of car pontiacs suck to work on and nothing is easy to get to or do on it. Can anyone help me???

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-05, 06:33 PM
Master101
Visiting Guest
Might be intake manifold gasket. While your at it maybe head gasket too.
$1000 bill.

Old 01-18-05, 08:10 PM
You did not even tell us what engine you have???
Water pumps seldom fail to pump.

Old 01-18-05, 09:24 PM
I bet its a quad four and the head gaskets blown. If this is right shoot it.

Old 01-18-05, 11:14 PM
onegizmo4u
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Sorry, it is a quad 4 2.4L engine

There you have it, it is a 2.4L engine. Is it possible to have a blown head gasket even if I do not see any kind of leak or i don't really know, what are the sypmtoms?

Old 01-19-05, 05:59 AM
Usually the antifreeze goes out the exhaust pipe when a head gasket is blown. Does it steam out the back? Are there bubbles in the radiator constantly? Is the oil a creamy tan color? With the cap on and the motor cold does the radiator hose pressureize before it starts getting warm?(squeeze it before and after you start it)
Quad fours are not an easy motor to work on and many shops won't touch them. I suggest you cut your losses if you do discover its a head gasket or cracked head. Shoot it and if its anywhere close to south east Iowa lemme know I have a 95 with a V6 that tried to push a John Deere down the highway.

Old 01-19-05, 02:06 PM
I assume you verified fan operation. There is a chemical test to check for exhaust fumes in the coolant.

Old 02-01-05, 05:12 PM
onegizmo4u
Visiting Guest
waht about a block seal

What if I used something like engine seal or a block seal? Something like what you would put in a radiator if the radiator was leaking? Do those ever work?

Old 02-02-05, 09:20 PM
z999
Visiting Guest
Is it using coolant ?

If it is, take it for a spin, wait a few minutes and check under the radiator cap. If its wet underneath it needs a new cap.
Check around hoses for leaking and see whether they need tightening up.

Old 02-02-05, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by onegizmo4u
What if I used something like engine seal or a block seal? Something like what you would put in a radiator if the radiator was leaking? Do those ever work?
Not if it is a head gasket
You'll want to verify that it is/isn't anyway
Check the fan and look for other symtoms as suggested

Old 02-21-05, 12:04 AM
onegizmo4u
Visiting Guest
Question It Stopped But....

THE CAR STOPPED OVER HEATING AFTER WE MODIFIED A FEW PARTS AND HASN'T OVERHEATED SINCE, BUT WHAT WE DID IS PROBABLY NOT RIGHT. AFTER INSTALLING A NEW THERMOSTAT TO STILL FIND IT OVER HEATING WE TRIED A COUPLE OF THINGS, ONE OF THOSE WAS RUNNING IT WITHOUT THE RADIATOR CAP ON. IT DID NOT OVERHEAT WHEN WE DID THAT, BUT TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT WE ENDED UP TAKING THE NEW THERMOSTAT BACK OUT AND DRILLING TWO SMALL HOLES THROUGH IT, PUTTING IT BACK IN AND NOW IT DOES NOT OVER HEAT. MIRACLE? I DON'T KNOW, ARE THERE ANY RISKS WITH DOING THIS OR IS MY CAR FIXED?