Problem Car

Old 01-19-05, 07:35 AM
Jkei3207
Visiting Guest
Angry Stubborn New Yorker

HELLO, I HAVE A 94CHRYSLER NEW YORKER WITH A 3.5 LITER INTREPID V6. A FEW DAYS AGO, THE CAR DECIDED NOT TO START. IT WOULD TURN OVER BUT NOT FIRE. SO, I RAN ALL THE APPROPRIATE TESTS AND FOUND NOTHINS BUT A SMALL FUEL LEAK IN THE FUEL RAIL ON THE TESTING PORT. I REPLACED THE VALVE INSIDE OF THE PORT AND TRIED TO START THE CAR. THE CAR WOULD TURN OVER AND NOT START BUT SEEMED TO BE MORE WILLING (MAYBE FLOODED FROM TRYING TO START SO MANY TIMES?). SO, I TRIED TO START THE CAR A FEW DAYS LATER AND SUCCESS! THE CAR FINALLY STARTED. THE CAR WAS IDLING FINE UNTIL I PUT IT INTO DRIVE. WHEN I WAS DRIVING IT WOULD STUMBLE (IDLE ROUGHLY) AND ANY TIME IT WAS IN THE LOW RPMS (1,000 TO 2,000) IT WOULD DRIVE ROUGH EVEN IF I WAS DOING 60 MILES AN HOUR. NOW, I AM BACK TO SQUARE ONE. THE CAR WILL NOT START YET AGAIN. THE CAR STIIL TURNS OVER BUT NO START. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY POSSIBLE SUGGESTIONS OR THINGS TO CHECK THAT MAY BE CAUSING MY PROBLEMS? I HAVE CHECKED FUEL PRESSURE, SPARK, WIRES, FUEL PUMP. WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE? BY THE WAY, (MAYBE IRRELLEVANT) THE CAR HAS NO HEAT (HEAT VENT SWITFCHES BUT HEATER CORE NOT WARMING UP) IF IT MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE.

Last edited by Jkei3207; 01-19-05 at 10:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-05, 08:08 AM
The Caps-Lock key is on the left hand side, right in the middle.

Old 01-19-05, 08:34 AM
Jkei3207
Visiting Guest
LOL, Sorry about that.

Old 01-19-05, 01:14 PM
Jkei3207
Visiting Guest
Some more usefull information, my check engine light is not on.

Old 01-20-05, 03:11 AM
well you need to know why the check engine light is on either by having the vehicle scanned or you can cycle the key 3 times on and off leaving it on the last time and counting the check engine light flashes the end of faults codes is a code 55.
also pull a spark plug to check the condition of the plug it may very well be getting flooded or to much gas causing the vehilce not to start see if the plug is wet with fuel or black from running to rich.

Old 01-20-05, 08:31 AM
Jkei3207
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Thank you beejay! I really appreciate everyones help!!! Here is a little bit of an update. The car started for me last night (extremely reluctantly) and is starting easily again now (even though i have done nothing to fix the car). The car still idles and runs rough (especially in the low RPM's not so much in the high ones though). THe check engine light is not on. I checked the fuel pressure and it is fine (40 psi). I have once already checked the plugs, wires, and fuel injectors and tested fine. In anyone has any insight, PLEASE HELP!! I have the feeling this car will not want to start again in the near future.

Last edited by Jkei3207; 01-20-05 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-20-05, 05:14 PM
It doesn't appear that you're checked the vacuum.

Old 01-21-05, 03:13 AM
while it might have a vacum leak I cant see it causing a starting problem check all your vacum lines and spray some carb cleaner along the intake gasket to see if you notice any difference in the way the engine is running, be carefull when spraying along the intake and it is a good idea to have a small fire extinguisher handy.
might take a fuel sample to see what the gas looks like see if there is any seperation by letting it set in a jar for a few minutes.
is there anything different about when the car wont start such as colder temperatures?
have you checked compression or timing belt to see if it is off it could be alot of things and you may need to see a shop to have it diagnosed.

Old 01-24-05, 02:20 AM
I would check out the timing belt and gears.