93 aerostar hitch

Old 01-19-05, 03:16 PM
rkooy
Visiting Guest
93 aerostar hitch

I installed a hitch last year on my Aerostar. It was an older style, all one piece, with 4 bolts. The rear two bolts could be placed inside the frame beams by removing the back bumper cover. The front two bolts however, could not be dropped into the inside of the frame beams; there was only a bolt hole on each side (with no welded nuts on inside). So I had to drill a hole on side of each frame beam so I could drop in the bolt into the hole. I tightened all 4 bolts/nuts the best I could, and now, due to heavy utility trailer loads and wear and tear, the hitch is getting loose.

Ofcourse the bolts can't be spun loose because there's no way to put a socket on the top of each bolt, since they are each inside a closed frame beam.

What are my options? I know I could pay a shop $300 to torch the bolts, toss the hitch, and install a brand new one; but this is not my first choice.
Besides, the hitch is still in good shape.

Any hitch wisdom out there?

Thanks
Rob Kooy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-05, 08:25 PM
why not have the bolts torched off then replace them and finally have a shop weld it solid to the frame? Heck I would cause it would work permanately and I'm cheap.