Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

no heat and it is very cold

Visiting Guest

01-20-05, 08:31 AM   #1  
elocm2121
no heat and it is very cold

Hello All,

I have limited heat in my 96 Plyouth Voyageur. When the heat is set to full it is slightly warmer than cold. I have flushed the Heater core and it seemed finE, i have changed the thermo, old one was fine though, plenty of fluids and the engine temp is fine. The heater core lines are both hot to the touch with a warm engine. Anybody have any suggestions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-20-05, 09:55 AM   #2  
Master101
Maybe radiator flush, oxalic (sp?) acid. (Prestone Super Flush) if the radiator is in bad condition.

I read, the electric heating fan has a ?sensor or air sensor that may be bad.

Voyageur is known for bad head gasket and Intake manifold gasket. I hope this is not your problem.

Visiting Guest

01-20-05, 10:25 AM   #3  
Master101
Could be doors in the heater duct not opening properly.

Check vacuum supply to heater control switch in the dash.

Visiting Guest

01-20-05, 01:48 PM   #4  
Master101
There is a heat sensor in the radiator or engine that allows the rad. fan to come on. Maybe the heat sensor is not functioning properly.

The other sensor I can think of is Coolant Temp. Sensor.

Last edited by Master101; 01-20-05 at 04:11 PM.

Visiting Guest

01-20-05, 02:00 PM   #5  
Master101
Faulty water pump could also cause no heat.

IA

01-20-05, 08:19 PM   #6  
If the heater hoses are hot then the problem wouldnt be in the radiator or temp sensors but most likely in the blend gate which directs the air over the heater core for heat or over the evaporator core for a/c. check for vacuum at the switch and check to see if gates under the dash move along with the controls If the air is coming out of the defrost when it should be on the floor it would be a sign of no vacuum.

Visiting Guest

01-21-05, 10:05 AM   #7  
elocm2121
thanks

Thanks for all your help, I think it may be the blend gate, if I listen closely it doesn't seem to make the proper noise. Two questions though, how can I access the blend cate or vacuum line? There is vacuum canister mounted in a rubber housing right in front of the engine passenger side, it has power on the top and two vacuum lines below that. The upper vacuum line has a green filler cap on it, air conditioning? Anyways last weekendit was clicking like a solinoid and I removed it and reinstalled it and it stopped, what is it and could it be related?

IA

01-21-05, 02:53 PM   #8  
I'm not sure what it is your describing (mines a 95) but you do have to have a reservoir some where. Look for a vacuum feed line off the intake to the canister and once you find it determine if there is vacuum on both sides and follow the line to where it goes into the van through the firewall. 99% of the time its going to be a hard black plastic line and if its broken it will normally be on the under hood side.
I'll check back later on and see how goes it. lemme know your findings

Visiting Guest

01-22-05, 08:07 AM   #9  
elocm2121
no vacuum hose

I looked for the vacuum hose you were refering to and I couldn't see it, the only thing I noticed that was strange is on the fire wall, passenger side there is a short 1/2" pipe sticking out with nothing attached and I can't seem to see any termination point if there was a hose attached. Any suggestions?

Thanks again

IA

01-23-05, 06:14 PM   #10  
Sorry I was side tracked. the tube your seeing is it maybe the drain tube for the a/c evaporator? Somewhere there has to be a reservoir for vacuum and its usually a plastic ball about the size of a soft ball.
I cant tell you where to look but you need to find out if theres vacuum into and out of it.

Search this Thread