Oil cooler lines????

Old 01-13-05, 07:31 PM
av8erab
Visiting Guest
Question Suburban oil cooler lines leaking, TOOL??

My oil cooler lines on my 98 Suburban K1500 are leaking a little. Chevy dealer said they could last a little longer but would cost $230. I can get the lines at the parts store for about $45.

I got under the truck and it looks easy but the nut near the oil pan at one end of the line is basically blocked by a bar supporting the trans. or something. It looks easy I just can't get to the nut with a wrench.

Does anyone know of a special tool that will get the job done.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-05, 03:52 AM
You do not remove the nut,if you look closer you will see a clip on the nut that needs removed and the line will pull out of the nut.

Old 01-16-05, 06:45 AM
av8erab
Visiting Guest
Thanks

I will look when I get home. That tip may of saved me about $200.

Thanks

Old 01-16-05, 06:47 AM
av8erab
Visiting Guest
question

Is it as simple as replacing the lines with a little oil leaking?

Thanks

Old 01-16-05, 01:33 PM
If they are leaking they are easy to change.So it's up to you if you think they are leaking bad enough to warrant replacement.

Old 01-20-05, 06:56 PM
av8erab
Visiting Guest
Need help with clip on oil cooler lines.

I bought the new oil cooler lines. I just looked at the lines again on the Suburban and I can't figure out how to get the plastic clip off. It looks like you have to turn it and line up the notches and it may slide off. Any tips??

Thanks

Old 01-21-05, 08:30 AM
av8erab
Visiting Guest
Question Oil cooler lines????

I posted the previous thread about the 98 Suburban oil cooler lines. I bought the lines but I can't find any step-by-step directions. I see the plastic clip near the oil filter that needs to come off. I want to be careful not to do the job wrong. Anyone that has done this, could you give me a step-by-step on replacing these lines. Thanks I just don't want to break something and get stranded.

Thanks

Old 01-21-05, 02:55 PM
You take a screwdriver and pry back on the plastic retainer then you will see the metal clip.Remove the metal clip and the line will pull out.Make sure you pull on it straight so it comes out easier.There are a couple of clamps holding the lines to the block that need removed first.Reverse procedure to install.

Old 01-21-05, 03:09 PM
This is one I have never had the pleasure of doing. By looking at the end of the new line can you see how to remove it? The last time one was leaking we took the 2 bolts holding the filter housing out and replaced the housing(the part the filter screws onto) with the old style from the salvage yard. It worked fine and subtracted the price of the lines. (I'm thinking they were close to 230.00$)

Old 01-22-05, 04:32 AM
Repeat threads

Please keep questions relating to the same vehicle and problem together to avoid confusion and starting all over again.Thank you.

Old 01-22-05, 05:51 AM
Time to take a tep back and eyeball the problem. It can be tough describing how to do some stuff without being "over you shoulder" and poking our fingers at stuff for you.

I've seen two different oil cooler line clips on GMs..... please don't ask me years and models because all I do is look at the style.

One style ( I think the early style) has plastic clips... push the line INTO the fitting, depress the ears on the clip and pull the line out of the fitting. The later style has a wire clip under a plastic cap. Pry the cap off with a screwdriver and remove the wire clip... pay attention - it will travel far - it will travel fast - and it will be "unfindable". Your dealer might stock the clips (they don't come with the new line) but my experience shows that the partsmongers don't even know they exist.

Old 01-22-05, 03:28 PM
If you need further clarification I may be able to send directions by email if you pm with your address.

Old 01-23-05, 08:43 AM
av8erab
Visiting Guest
Smile Directions please

That would be great. My email is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I need to get this job done in a few days and I like to get it done right the first time.

Thanks

Last edited by davo; 02-13-05 at 03:39 AM. Reason: email addresses not allowed in the forum
Old 02-12-05, 07:47 PM
av8erab
Visiting Guest
Smile I did the job!

I finally got mine done. I never got detailed directions other than what was on do it yourself.com

The job took about 3 hours. Getting the lines off the radiator was simple and I am sure you won't have problem. The connection next to the oil pan was another story. Of course doing it a second time would go much faster. I just broke off the plastic ring on the metal line. You don't need them after that. The new lines have them on it. There is a simple metal pin under the plastic ring that took some time to get off. I took my time prying it off with a screw driver carefully because I did not want it to go shooting off somewhere and not find it again. Once you get the metal ring/clip off, the line will pull out and some oil will come out. You then just have to fish the line out the front of the care. Then do the same for the top line. Install the lines, they do just slide in. Put the metal clip back on. The clip may of opened up some when you took it off, but you can bend it back a little to get a good fit. Again it looked as if I had to be a little careful putting the clip back on so it does not shoot off somewhere. I found leather work gloves to be helpful. Then just slide the plastic ring over the clip. Attach the lines to the radiator. The new lines where not perfectly shaped like the old ones but it worked. I have put about 1000 miles on the job and no problems. Taking off he oil filter made the job a little easier. I did not jack up or run up on stands. It might of made the job easier. Also a crawler to lay on would make it easier. This is my next buy. Also have good lighting usder the car.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-01-15, 09:12 AM
New post to old thread

I got mine done just now.
I had ordered the new dorman lines from Rockauto.com for 14.75 and 15.16. If I would have known I would have ordered the fittings @ the filter as well.
But I didn't know. I followed the advice of av8erab about getting the old fittings off but I never found metal clips. I did find green o rings.
I have a 1995 silverado with a 5.7.
The new lines did come with new plastic insertable fasteners so I cleaned everything up and put it all back together.
When I started the truck to check for leaks the lower fitting was leaking. I tried to push it in further etc but only managed to cause the upper one to leak. So I took everything off again. I got the clips to let go and was puzzling over the push in fitting when I had a brain fart and decided to try doubling up on the o rings.
So I got a couple of o rings that matched the green ones in size and reassembled everything again. Got it back on the truck and no leaks.
The best advice I can give for this repair is to purchase the new lines AND fittings, the fittings are only 4 bucks each.