Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing Conv. Top 87 mustang

01-21-05, 01:02 PM   #1  
Replacing Conv. Top 87 mustang

I am interested in replacing my convertable top in my 87 mustang. There are many web sites that sell new tops for do it yourselfers. I am interested in some tips and advise. Thanks

Sponsored Links

01-22-05, 03:50 AM   #2  
Take it to a trim shop. Save yourself alot of headaches!

01-22-05, 06:06 AM   #3  
What Hogfan said.... this is a frustrating job (did one many years ago) and one little "oops" can render your new top into garbage.

MI

01-22-05, 10:23 AM   #4  
I've done two tops myself. It is not easy. it's not one of these nuts-and-bolts jobs like replacing seat covers. The tops need to be fitted and it is a very iterative process. Too tight and you have problems, too loose and it looks ugly. It very difficult to get it to look tight with no wrinkles and have it work well.

Visiting Guest

01-23-05, 11:53 PM   #5  
tinker toys
convertable top

I did my 72 MGB years ago and I bought the top from J.C. whitney and it turned out great. They stopped selling tops for a while but a few years ago they put them back in their cataloge. Web is the same as the name and you can get their cataloge free if you want..

Search this Thread