Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

help with 95 taurus

PA

01-21-05, 07:14 PM   #1  
help with 95 taurus

I have a 95 ford taurus v6, the tranny is acting up. It will sometime not shoft out of second gear. when it does it shifts hard.
any ideas, are there sensors to check?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-21-05, 11:28 PM   #2  
98supratt
check the tranny fluid level. if it was just the tranny that wont shift out of second it could be in "safe mode" which is when you would have to reset the tranny somehow, either buy pulling the main fuse but thats proabably not why.

PA

01-22-05, 07:30 AM   #3  
tranny

fluid is good, changed filter, I will try the rest.

01-24-05, 10:37 AM   #4  
How many miles

How many miles are on this car?

I own a '94 that had the tranny rebuilt at 80K and again at 140K. The car now has 150K+ and has needed a lot of work during the last 12 mos. When built it was a hot selling car, but I don't see too many on the road now. I really need to keep driving mine and wanted to know what to expect as the car ages.

Thanks

Group Moderator

FL

01-24-05, 03:24 PM   #5  
Very high failure rate on that vintage Taurus/Sable; we tow them into tranny shops ALL the time. If you do an archive search here you'll find dozens of references to failed Taurus/Sable trannies (and other assorted compnent failures). The reason you don't see too many of that age on the road is that the vast majority of them had either the tranny go belly up or, if it has a 3.8L engine, blown head gasket. Often these failures were at as little as 40,000 miles. Also several other pricey items that tended to fail prematurely.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

01-24-05, 03:30 PM   #6  
We know from past responses that you have made most of your money towing Sables to the transmission shop, but hey, thanks for let us know again.

Group Moderator

FL

01-25-05, 04:48 AM   #7  
Not most, but a LOT! Also have personal experience from having one in the extended family (and whose former owner was told I would disown the next buyer of a Ford product) that didn't make 40,000 miles before the tranny went south. To say I'm not a Taurus/Sable fan would be an understatement. Coincidentally, there's another current post asking about a Taurus tranny, hmmmmm.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

Search this Thread