Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

96 Explorer -Intermittent Stalling

01-23-05, 09:39 AM   #1  
96 Explorer -Intermittent Stalling

The other day my explorer stalled at highway speeds and would not start , up to that point was not having any major problems. I had it towed to a mechanic who said there was no fuel pressure so he replaced the fuel pump and sender. Following that on the mechanics test drives, the truck was stalling and or losing all power for a split second and then return to normal driving. He then replacced the relay, which he said seemed to help but did not correct it. I needed to be able to get home so i took the truck eventhough it was stalling. I drove on the highway and it did the same thing on a couple of occasions. It was like I left off the gas completley while I had not, once i took my foot off the accelerator the power seemed to return. Once i got to the in-town driving the truck stalled several times, mostly during low RPM driving. I know it needs more attention and will be taking to a mechanic, but wanted to know what i should tell him, or additional things to look for, or suggestions on where to look. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links

01-24-05, 01:49 AM   #2  
Have the tech scan the computer for error codes. My first guess might be a bad ignition module in the distributor. What engine do you have?

01-24-05, 04:22 AM   #3  
If the CHECK ENGINE light comes on it should store a code in the EEC SYSTEM. So first start off with having the codes read.

01-24-05, 06:33 AM   #4  
I have a 4.0 L V-6. No check engine light has come on. The tech said there was a couple of misfire codes, but the light never came on.

Search this Thread