Console repair

Old 01-24-05, 04:47 AM
Question Console repair

I just purchased a used truck. The open area of the console appears to have had a velvety lining. Most of the lining has been worn away and there are a few coins stuck to the bottom. I assume the console becomes sticky during hot weather due to the glue that held the lining.

Is there something that I can put on the console? It has a couple of compartments, "tubes" for change, etc. and would be difficult to cover with fabric. Is there a spray on covering that can be used? Any ideas as to the best cleaner to remove the old stuff and glue? Also, how easy is it to get the console out of the truck?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-05, 05:33 AM
What year and kind of truck?
An in-between seats console or dash console?

Either way the removal of the old goo will be tricky and I know of know spray to cover it
Tuff Stuff foam works well but you're prolly beyond that
Maybe Goo Gone and careful scraping with a putty knife
Or 3M has a spray adhesive remover I've not used but have heard it's killer

If you can remove the console it'll make this job so much easier, so post back with the info and someone here should know, or can give you some tips on how to remove it
I don't want to get your hopes up but sometimes the "tubes" are removable

Old 01-24-05, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Don't know how durable it would be, but Rockler carries this stuff:

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...erings_id=9854
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/findprod.cfm?sku=593

Old 01-24-05, 06:39 PM
It is the center console (in between the bucket seats) in a 94 Dodge Dakota. I don't think the coin tubes are removeable on this one. Automatic trans - 2WD if that matters.

I hope to start on the cleanup / fixup this weekend. Is anyone else familiar with the stuff from Rockler? Is there another option? I assume if I can get the old stuff out, the plastic "shell" may be OK in appearance to leave alone. I guess it depends on what the glue remover does to it.

I did see some black rubberized spray for bumpers at WalMart. Has anyone used this?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Last edited by hdtvluvr; 01-24-05 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-26-05, 04:46 AM
I removed the 4 screws from inside the part of the center console with the lid. However, there seems to be another screw and I can't seem to find it. The front section of the console (from dash to rear) has a small open area, then coin holders, then a larger open area and then the "armrest" with compartment underneath. This latter area is where I found the screws.

Last edited by hdtvluvr; 01-26-05 at 05:09 AM.