Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

91 Hnd Acd 2.1L Auto

CAL

01-24-05, 12:37 PM   #1  
91 Hnd Acd 2.1L Auto

I have a fuel consuption issue with my honda. From a stop my idle is a bit eratic and when I put in drive I notice a whitish/clear cloud coming from the exhaust. I know what causes a dark blue or black cloud but not this type. And when engine is first warmed up check engine light is not on but when I start to drive and the engine is up to around 2500rpm's there's a dragging feeling but it stops and check engine light comes on and it drives fine. I haven't a clue what the problem is. Thank you for the help.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

01-24-05, 03:09 PM   #2  
White smoke after the engine is up to temperature would be from an internal coolant/water leak; possible head gasket failing. Do you have to add coolant or water fairly frequently? Possibly getting a check engine light because of the water/coolant in the exhaust stream affecting the o2 sensor. Going to probably need to have it professionally checked.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

CAL

01-24-05, 03:21 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. I have noticed the coolant level low. I just changed oil myself and didn't see water in oil. Wouldn't a bad head gasket allow water to mix with oil too?

01-24-05, 06:16 PM   #4  
Posted By: Matt Anaya Thanks for the reply. I have noticed the coolant level low. I just changed oil myself and didn't see water in oil. Wouldn't a bad head gasket allow water to mix with oil too?
A bad head gasket or cracked head could let coolant into the combustion chamber which would go out the exhaust with out getting a significant amount of coolant into the oil.

Group Moderator

FL

01-25-05, 04:22 AM   #5  
Right. Depends on exactly where on the gasket itself the bad spot is as to whether it leaks the coolant into the crankcase or into the cylinder to be burned. You're probably looking at a head gasket job and I wouldn't be surprised if your head is a little warped (ummm, sorry, the CYLINDER head). Make sure the head is checked at a machine shop if you do the gasket or have it done at a garage. And since it's a Honda, how old is the timing belt? Would be a good time to replace it.

CAL

01-25-05, 08:49 AM   #6  
I will probably replace head gasket myself and take the head to get rebuilt. Might as well since I have it pulled out. Before I do that I should do a compression test on each cylinder, right? Thanks for the advice.

Group Moderator

FL

01-25-05, 07:13 PM   #7  
Not much point unless you need the practice. What you'll find is low compression on at least one cylinder, possibly two if the gasket failed between cylinders.

CAL

01-26-05, 08:58 AM   #8  
I inspected the cap/rotor & wires and replaced them all and the white smoke cloud has gone away and my fuel consumption issue has too. Could have this been the problem? Check engine light still on though. Thanks

Group Moderator

FL

01-26-05, 03:43 PM   #9  
Could be you were mistaking the color of the "smoke"?

CAL

01-27-05, 08:49 AM   #10  
But that doesn't explain the water lose. I should probably have a compression test done anyway, right?

Group Moderator

FL

01-27-05, 11:47 AM   #11  
Yes, since there's some question on the condition of the engine that would be a good place to start. First off, you might pull the plugs and inspect them. Spark plugs operating in a cylinder that is burning water/coolant are often much cleaner, i.e. white rather than slightly sooty, than the other plugs.

01-27-05, 04:46 PM   #12  
Posted By: Matt Anaya But that doesn't explain the water lose. I should probably have a compression test done anyway, right?
Not a compression test but a cooling system pressure test to find that problem.

Group Moderator

FL

01-28-05, 04:59 AM   #13  
Just slap me; should have said that.

CAL

01-28-05, 01:00 PM   #14  
Thanks again for the help.

CAL

02-02-05, 11:50 AM   #15  
Did Compression test and all cylinders are good and in that process i found coolant leak. It was the 0-ring gasket that connects upper radiator hose to head. I have another Question for you now: My head lights are really dim. I checked voltage at battery it read 12v plus and I checked with car running and altenator is charging the batt read 14 plus. Could it be the blubs that are bad? Thanks

Visiting Guest

02-02-05, 09:06 PM   #16  
z999
Sounds high ; have the alternator checked at an auto electrcian.

The coolant loss may be not related to the head gasket at all, more likely not in fact. Could be hoses, radiator or radiator cap. (I've just looked back in the thread - wasn't head)

A car that old could easily have a leaking head gasket and worn rings which would give you a little bit of white smoke.

02-02-05, 09:43 PM   #17  
Posted By: Matt Anaya Did Compression test and all cylinders are good and in that process i found coolant leak. It was the 0-ring gasket that connects upper radiator hose to head. I have another Question for you now: My head lights are really dim. I checked voltage at battery it read 12v plus and I checked with car running and altenator is charging the batt read 14 plus. Could it be the blubs that are bad? Thanks
The voltage is within specs
Are they dim all the time?
Or just at idle?
Probably not the bulbs btw, and many places will check the charging system (batt. alt.) at no charge...um...for free

Search this Thread