Chevy Cavalier Transmisison

Old 01-24-05, 04:20 PM
Id_do_anything
Visiting Guest
Chevy Cavalier Transmisison

My sister has a 1996 Chevorlet Cavalier. It has a 2.2L I4 auto trans. It's not the LS or RS or Z24. Just a basic car. Lately in the morning, when it is pretty cold (either when the car is warmed up or not) when backing out of the driveway the transmisson seems to get stuck. When she goes from reverse to drive the car dosen't respond. As if it is in neutral, and then the gears engage and the car jolts forward. Where should I go from here? I don't know where to start.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-05, 05:27 AM
First step check the level and condition of the fluid
You should find the tranny dipstick, warm up the car, move the shifter around then check the level and color of the fluid on the dipstick
Then post back

Old 01-25-05, 12:40 PM
transman618
Visiting Guest
You are going to need to go to a transmission shop. Sorry, but what is happening is the clutch piston seals are old and in need of replacement. As the transmission gets up in age and mileage, the rubber clutch piston seals harden. When they do, they leak. This causes the clutch assy to be slow in engagement. The transmission being cold only makes it worse. As the trans heats up, the rubber seals soften and will tend to seal better. This is a normal thing that happens over the years. It just needs a good overhaul. I do agree though, ALWAYS check the fluid level and condition first.

transman

Old 01-25-05, 09:54 PM
imspacy
Visiting Guest
Cool

:mask: Sometimes if it hasn't gotten to bad you can add some transmision seal conditioner and that helps, sometimes. And always check the fluid level, never overfill.